Trivia Contest Problem- Need Ideas or Opinions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

I have a little problem with the answer to the Trivia question about the most expensive pen. Eric posted an answer(with documentation) that is different from the one we used for the contest. He has a pretty good argument (although not 100% IMO) that his is a better answer than what I used. Here is his post and a link to his documentation.

Originally posted by ericw95

Randy - did you not get my email? I sent you a link to a pen by Montegrappa that was over a million dollars that was created in 2004.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/02/24/ultimate.pen/index.html

Since winners have already been selected and announced, this is a little ticklish.

To be honest, when I first saw this question suggested (I borrowed it from someone else here), I had a feeling I had seen something about a more expensive pen; but could not find the reference.

Initially, I was thinking about giving the guy a third prize since we have a few extras as I understand it; but now there is a post by another member who also entered that answer. And there may even be more of those answers??

Anyone have any thoughts on how to deal with this issue??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fiferb

If we have enough prizes, I'd say award everyone. If we don't have enough prizes, maybe we could solicit for some more donations of blanks, kits, etc.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I think Scott might have a couple prizes in his hip pocket that could be used for this. If not, I'll put together a box of blanks from my private stash. Just let me know the approx dollar value of the prize you need.

Scott

Hi Randy,

Yes, see how many mention that pen. If there are not too many we can award them prizes, but if there are three or more, use your random number generator and choose one prize from among them. That should be as fair as the original winners. I think I have about five un-assigned prizes right now, but I have a feeling we will need them before we are done. Stuff like this comes up, and I'd rather award an extra prize or two. This is for fun, isn't it? :D

Scott.

Randy_

Welcome back!! I'm working on it right now.

Other topic: I have reconsrtucted most/maybe all of the thread I trashed. Were there other contests on that page besides the Trivia Contest and the Pen/Pencrafter Contest?

Randy_

OK, here is the rest of the story and it gets even a little stickier.

First off, there is only one other entry with the same answer so we are looking at two extra prizes total.

Here is where it gets a little messy. I went back and reexamined Eric's entry and he failed to include his screen name in the entry. Including ones screen name is a clearly stated requirement of the contest; but there is no language stating that lack of including the screen name is grounds for disallowing the entry. I'm sure the requirement is pretty well understood because I have had a number of folks send me a second email adding their screen name because it was left off their original entry. Under other circumstances, I might have taken a soft position and bent the rules a little; but since I have already disallowed two other entries because they were missing screen names, I don't feel like I, personally, can do any different with Eric's entry. That being said, if I disallowed his entry and he appealed, it could turn into a long mess. So, effectively, I am getting the appeal process handled ahead of time. I don't see the need for me to tell him one thing and then have him appeal (which he might or might not do) and and then wait around for a second decision. Personally, it wouldn't bother if my decision was overruled since it is such a screwy situation; but I would rather see the guy get one answer and be done with it rather than to drag it out by my giving a decision and then the Trivia team asked to review that decision.

Whatever the collective judgment is of you guys, I will deliver the decision to Eric and accept the responsibility for the situation and offer myself as the target for any ill feelings that might arise.

Please let's get this resolved ASAP. We don't need this hanging over us and neither does Eric.

Thanks for your wisdom and my apologies for dropping the ball on this one.

fiferb

Randy, you didn't drop a ball because you didn't have one in the air. Don't worry about it, it could happen to any of us and probably will. You were just first.

I could go either way with this dilemma. If you don't give Eric a prize for not putting his screen name you are maintaing the standard you've set and have been maintaining. If you do give Eric a prize then don't mention that he didn't put his screen name. The people you disqualified previously would now have reason to appeal.

I say, disqualify Eric for not using a screen name, which is what you'd have done if he'd answered otherwise. Award a prize to the other person as an addition to the expected answer.

Whew, not sure if I want to start this headache on Friday now. :D Just kidding, I think it will be fun.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Hey Randy!

The way I see it - it is your contest, and since you said that you normally would disqualify a candidate for not following all of the posted rules, I think you have to continue to follow that rule.

HOWEVER, it might be a LOT easier to just award the two of them prizes...less messy, and definitely less ill will...so perhaps that's the best route..

It comes down to whether you want to follow your rules and stick to your guns, or end the matter once and for all in the least messy way...

It's your contest, what do you want to do? The way I see it, the judgment of the Trivia Master (or any other contest leader) should be considered final...appeals get messy!

Randy_

Originally posted by fiferb

.....If you do give Eric a prize then don't mention that he didn't put his screen name. The people you disqualified previously would now have reason to appeal.....

OK, thanks.

Because of the way I select the winner, contestants don't know that they were disqualified and have no way of finding our. Eric would be the only one in that position.

Unless I hear something else, from Scott or Jeff, I will email the guy this evening and let him know his entry is not valid and the other valid entry will be notified that he will receive a prize.

Hopefully, no discussion of this will develop on the open forum; but if it does, I will deal with it.

Thanks again.

Bruce, I am working on a short note for you and Al with a few things I have learned over the past 8 days. Will get it out this evening so you have a little time to digest it. May be helpful, may not?? Given this situation, you may not want to pay attention to any of it. :D

Scott

Hi Randy!

Your plan sounds fine to me. Inconsistency in anything that deals with other people, will almost always get you in trouble. If the E-Mail doesn't include the screen name it doesn't count. A good rule for everybody!

There will always be those who think their answer is close enough, and the Internet can be used to support almost anybody's variant position, whatever it may be. So a little statement in your rules about the Trivia Master's decision on whether the answer matches the correct answer for the question, is final. Daniel brought up an interesting point in yesterday's Trivia thread, that the correct answer should be given to some other person ahead of time, so that we all can know that it was indeed predetermined to be the correct answer. Well, you all posted your questions AND answers on the planning forum, and we can all speak up for you if needed.

But please don't let a little controversy spoil this for you! We're all just here to have some fun!

And Randy, I went and updated that Contest Winners post today with some new results. I also saved all the info and coding for that page! ;)

Scott.

Randy_

Originally posted by Scott

....But please don't let a little controversy spoil this for you! We're all just here to have some fun!

And Randy, I went and updated that Contest Winners post today with some new results. I also saved all the info and coding for that page! ;)

I love a little controversy now and then and have a pretty thick skin so this is great for me!![^][^]

Fact is I have quite enjoyed the entire experience. It has turned out to be more time and effort than I had anticipated and I would have never guessed at some of the crazy stuff that has occurred; but it has been very education and well worth the effort. But I will say that a full month of it would be a load. Sure am glad you broke it up into smaller bites. Think I would be totally "fried" if I had to do it for 30 consecutive days!!![xx(][xx(][xx(]

As to red above, I can't imagine why you think that is necessary???:D:D

Top Bottom