To crack or not to crack that is the question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OKLAHOMAN

OKLAHOMAN

This pen is my first Snakewood.I need to thank Doc Stram for the blank,it was one of many he sent me during the birthday bash.I've hesitated to turn a snakewood because of its rep for cracking until reciving guidance from a few friends. I was told to treat it like a lady not a tramp and take my time with her.This will NOT crack...well maybe a small one,...or two.
If it cracks as Don Ward has said just fill the crack it still will be a beaut!Finish is lacquer.

200843213944_1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

igran7

Very nice Roy. I enjoyed one of my Snakewood's for almost a year before it finally cracked. Most of the others cracked within the first month or two. Enjoy it while you can:)

OKLAHOMAN

Thanks to all.
Gary:,I've heard that about snakewood.
Bruce:,Agree it looks good at this point and hopeing for the best
Rob:,Something I learned from a good friend,It's only wood and is replaceable,nothing to be scared of.(Thanks Eagle)
Don:,Don't know about one of the finest posted but thanks for the compliment
Cav:,There have been a few snakewood pens that haven't cracked I'll admit very few:D.
Lou:,There will </u>be an Encore (Thats why I got two 18K <s>Nips </s>Nibs)

its_virgil

Nice pen Roy. Snakewood is a beautiful wood and makes a 1st class pen.

Yep! I've just fixed three snakewood statesmen for a gentleman in Los Angeles who was told by the maker of the three pens that they could not be fixed[:0] He was told there was nothing that could be done to fix a cracked snakewood pen. I have his name(the penturner) and I'm thinking of telling him differently. But, I don't think I will. This new customer will be a good one. He spent over $2K at the LA pen show a few weeks back and has purchased 2 very nice pens from me and one from Anthony.

So don't worry Roy. If it cracks just fix it. I've never had one crack a second time....yet:D

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by OKLAHOMAN

If it cracks as Don Ward has said just fill the crack it still will be a beaut!Finish is lacquer.
[/img]

Grizz

Banned
Wow, that is nice. I've not seen...or noticed much snakewood, but that is beautiful and and excellent job turning it.[^]

Tanner

Good luck with the Snakewood Roy! I think it's a beautiful pen! I have to give one a try. I might be good at them as my wife says I treat her like a lady and I really take my time.[:0]

drayman

Roy, thats a superfantasidosy of a pen, that means i think its a stunner. well done[:0][:0][:0][^]

bitshird

Roy, that is a beaut, I'd wondered if you dilled the snakewood and let it set for say a year, allow it get some temperature and humidity variations, then it probably would crack before the tubes were glued,I guess it would need to be turned between centers close to size before letting it move around, then fix the cracks when you did the final turning after gluing the tubes ?

Top Bottom