Texas Bar Floor Mystry Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from splinter99

splinter99

Picked up some of these blanks in the trade and give away section(Thanks Joe)..
This wood is from a bar floor on the Texas gulf.(the bar was built around 1920).Not sure what it is..seems a little like Ipe but could be teak..polishes up beautifully.

barfloor-4_editedMedium.jpg

Any ideas what it is?

Thanks for looking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I have no idea , what kind of wood it is . But I do know it is beautiful ! It did polish up real nice . I'll take a stab at Mahogany ! Thanks for posting ! [8D]

redfishsc

I'm nearly positive it's not teak, the color and grain cry out for Ipe. That, and how hard was it? Teak is extraordinarily soft if you compare it to Ipe (teak is as hard as oak, but Ipe seems hard as granite).

Likewise, did it produce green, pollen looking dust? If so, Ipe it is.

splinter99

My first thought was Ipe too but I have never had any turn out so dark,,The grain looks a little like lignum v but not as oily..nice wood what ever it is..and like you said..oh the stories it could tell

bitshird

Not that I know much about woods, but being that the floor was in a bar in Houston Texas, is there a chance it could have been Osage Orange, It fits all of the criteria, since with sufficient age it will get almost a Choclate brown, has some very nice grain and is harder than the hubs of H*ll, It just doesn't look right for Ipe, at least not like the boards I've cut up, and Bois D`Arch was very plentiful in the old days in Texas, 1/2 the fence posts on the King Ranch are Osage Orange, and have been there since the 1860s just another wild guess [:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)]

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by bitshird

Not that I know much about woods, but being that the floor was in a bar in Houston Texas, is there a chance it could have been Osage Orange, It fits all of the criteria, since with sufficient age it will get almost a Choclate brown, has some very nice grain and is harder than the hubs of H*ll, It just doesn't look right for Ipe, at least not like the boards I've cut up, and Bois D`Arch was very plentiful in the old days in Texas, 1/2 the fence posts on the King Ranch are Osage Orange, and have been there since the 1860s just another wild guess [:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)]
Not osage, while yes it could turn that color, this is a newly turned pen not a very aged one. It would not be that color turned, even if the floor was that aged color. I still say it isd some teak species(unsure which it could be)

Top Bottom