Testing new stuff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DozerMite

Banned
This will probably get deleted, but here goes.

I mentioned a week or so ago that I was testing some new pigments.

Well... I did some testing this evening and am extremely impressed with the stuff. I have a true chameleon blank! Any slight movement of the blank causes a five color change. Three of them being very distinctive. Not like some of the other stuff I've used, where you have to flip the blank end for end to see the change. The colors are also visible as they wrap around the radius when looking straight at it.

I will try to post a pic of it tomorrow after I skin and polish it. Although, all here know my photography skills stink.:redface:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

76winger

You'll probably need a sequence of pics as you rotate it, while trying to maintain it's position. Good luck with whatever method you try!

DozerMite

Banned
You'll probably need a sequence of pics as you rotate it, while trying to maintain it's position. Good luck with whatever method you try!

Rotating it won't work. The colors will stay on the radius. To get the colors to show, the blank needs to move laterally. It doesn't take much to see the colors though, so maybe just lay the blank down and take several pics from different angles?

76winger

Rotating it won't work. The colors will stay on the radius. To get the colors to show, the blank needs to move laterally. It doesn't take much to see the colors though, so maybe just lay the blank down and take several pics from different angles?

Or maybe keep the pen in position down flat, and the camera in position on a tripod. Then move a light across from left to right in sort of an arc-like path so each photo has the pen with the light hitting it from a different angle.

If you have the lights, it might work good to have one on each side to maintain a balanced light on the scene, then a third one to do the arc-path across it. But I'm probably starting to over-engineer here (it's a trait of mine). Hopefully it'll give you some ideas to play with. Keep in mind digital memory is cheap, and good for experimenting, so play around and see what gives you the best results!

DozerMite

Banned
You already know...

pics + me = terrible.

This is the best I could get and it shows three colors, green,teal and purple. There is also a blue and violet when moved around. I'm quite disappointed in the outcome so far. The colors tend to wrap around the radius. If you move it around, the colors do change. The light source affects the color intensity. I will get it turned and see what comes of it.
It reacts much better on the flat. Probably going to make beautiful pendants. All the colors really show when flat.

Illusionz.jpg

DozerMite

Banned
Black makes the blue and purple really pop out. I don't think white is going to do much and chrome simulates black, just not as dark.

I intend on making this one black and will post the pic.

Top Bottom