Teachers Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from leehljp

Status
Not open for further replies.

leehljp

Member Liaison
A teachers pen for my daughter in Arkansas.
Black - Japanese Persimmon
Red - Red Heart
Center - Tulip Wood

My first attempt at a pen other than a straight slim line. Still have lots to learn. Just got a new camera too - Japanese version of the Canon Rebel XT with the USM IS 17-85 lens. Still doesn't help the pictures! Or maybe it shows what really is there - flaws and all! [:eek:)]

20055210222_Teachers%20Pen%202.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Bill,

Japanese persimmon is black and dark brown. The dark brown turns almost black with most finishes, although you can see the brown/black contrast if you look close most of the time. (not in the picture above though.)

Other characteristics: It turns well - smooth. It can be buffed to a shine without much of a finish. While not finicky, it is sensitive to heat and slighly brittle. You can have a blow out if not carefull when drilling the blank, particularly as the bit is about to exit the bottom.

It is an ebony wood, but I don't know what that means - since not all ebony woods are persimmon or probably not even fruit trees. IN a few discussions on ebony wood, the point is usually on the similar characteristics of most black wood, hence ebony, but I do not think that they are really from the same family of trees. (IHMO)

CORRECTION: While it is ebony (black), the "Black" if you want to be precise is a very dark dark brown, but to most people, they will not notice the difference. Color Graphics is a hobby of mine, so I do notice the difference.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Frank,

My oldest daughter, the teacher, is in Augusta, near Searcy. My middle daughter works with the Child Protective Services in the DHS, in Van Buren/Ft. Smith. My youngest is a junior at Ouachita Bapt. U. in Arkadelphia.

Where is your cousin located (in Japan)?

Brent

that's one of the best looking teachers pens that I have seen here. my wife works at a school,maybe I will try some of those over the summer and see if she can sell them when they go back to work this fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom