Swirled Resin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cozee

Took a bit of time to play around with an idea I had about swirling resins. This one is no more than a poured casting. No other method was used to create a swirl or blend other than the way it was poured. I want to try a few more things before I share how I did it. I was told this one looks like fire.

20076343015_fire.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cozee

Automotive paint: PPG Concept DBC (red) and DCC (yellow) and the resin was from Mr Fiberglass.

kf4knf

So how was this cast? Was it in a PVC tube or a square container? I am still new to custom casting so I am trying to get the feel for what works and doesnt work.

Thanks for the paint info Greg. [:)]

-Steve-

cozee

It was cast into a pvc tube cut to produce a full length blank. I prefer round pvc molds as they serve three purposes for me.

1. I can cut them so as to produce a full length blank. The ice cube mold which are popular require using two blanks to make a pen other than the single shorter barrel pens like a Polaris or Sierra.

2. They are round. Square molds produce more waste. It is also easier to turn when beginning with a round blank as opposed to a square one.

3. PVC tubing is cheap!! I can go to one of the Big Boxes and get 10'of schedule 20 or 40 for a few bucks and cut more than enough molds.

I use auotmotive paints simply because I have a good supply of it. I am going to be experimenting with custom colors and effects paints over the summer.

Do a search here on casting and you'll find a wealth of information.

Tanner

Looks good, I've played with how to get bigger swirls and just alternating colors a few times during the pouring, with no dragging of a stick or anything seems to work OK.

Tanner

How do you do that? Are you ambidextrous?[:D] I tried that and the cup in my left hand kept missing the mold.[B)] I have looked around for cups that are split in the middle to no avail.

cozee

Could be the cups. For blanks like this where I am only making one at a time, I mix each color in a small mixing cup which is graduated up to 1 oz. They are made of a flexible plastic much like a milk jug so they can be squeezed so as to form a poring spout.

I figure that I would go ahead and post some pics of my helping hand when pouring to achieve the above swirling effect. Ice cream lovers may moan but I had an old electric ice cream freezer which the mixing can had chilled it's last 2 quarts. I figured I could use the motor for something sooner or later so I put it up with all the other potential future project items (Yes, part of me is a pack rat!!) I wasn't pleased with the swirling I was getting when the little idea bulb flickered and I came up with what you see here. Works great and if you move the mixing cups around you can achieve even more effects. I am presently working on a system where I can use more than 2 colors. As you can see, I use some hi-tech, Red Green approved shimming material for the mold to fit snugly in the holder yet allow easy removal. So, here is the "Cozee-go-round" in it's present state:

200763214831_CGR1.jpg

Since the drive in the motor was 8 point, essentially a double square, I cut a square of 1/2" clear acrylic to size and secured it to the bottom of the mold holder:

200763215234_CGR3.jpg

If the need calls for it, I can vary the rpms down to nearly 8-10. I also have a holder and mold for bottle stoppers but haven't poured any yet.

Mikey

So, when you are mixing the paints into the resin, are you using actual mixed paint, or just the base tint? Also, does it matter what base or paint you use, or does any brand work? I have base in blue, but also have paints in red, black, blue, silver, and a few other colors I can't remember.

cozee

Right now all I have used are PPG Concepts straight from the can, no reducer or hardener. Some are bases (DBC) and some are single stage (DCC). I plan on trying some Alsa and HoK in the next month or so.

DWK5150

I have used PPG tints and toners and pearls as well in mine. I have also used HOK chameleon as well. Didnt come out well but I still have a pint off it left to play with.

cozee

I'd think the problem with the chameleon is that it really needs a black base for it to really provide the full effect for which it was intended. Diluting it within the resin would also break down it's ability of light refraction.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Greg,

I've thought about trying the chameleon paint too. Would it work to paint the tube black then paint the chameleon on top of it and then cast clear PR over that? Or maybe even a little clear PR with just a hint of pearl in it?

GK

cozee

Yes, you can paint the tube and put the chameleon over it. In fact, paint the tube with a gloss black and polish it before applying the chameleon. Then yes, you can cast it in clear and with some pearl if you like. Keep in mind that with pearl in the clear coat (resin) it will detract a little from the effect of the chameleon and too much will definitely mute it. Chameleon looks it's best with straight clear over it. The effect is achieved by light refraction which the pearl will interfere with. I have though seen candies used over it that produce a neat little effect.

DWK5150

Yes you must paint the tubes with the chameleon. It takes a fair amount also to make a noticiable difference and also remeber it if fairly expensive. I used to be a rep for PPG and was able to get all my paint supplies for cheap.

cozee

I work for a government agency so I get a nice discount. And having worked with the jobber for many years, I am able to take advantage of greatly reduced prices on miss mixes and returns. ;)

Chameleon needs a dark base for it to best "do it's thing" that is why black works best. It is like the black backing on a mirror. Remove it and the mirror still reflects but not near as well.

Originally posted by DWK5150
<br />Yes you must paint the tubes with the chameleon. It takes a fair amount also to make a noticiable difference and also remeber it if fairly expensive. I used to be a rep for PPG and was able to get all my paint supplies for cheap.

Just wanted to mention that my experience seems to indicate that the less material applied, the more radical the color shift effect. We've done several projects with chameleon type paints, and they all work the same. But, the more coats we put on, the more docile the color shifting becomes.
I think it's because the chameleon type paints are not actually paint pigments, but very tiny glass platelets, cut into facet form. It's the faceting that generates the refraction of light waves that we see as color. Stacking too many platelets on top of each other tends to trap more of the refraction, and thus less to bounce out to your eye.
We now use this "stacking" as a technique to mute, dilute, or just decrease the effect where and when we need to.
Also, you CAN use other color other than black as a base coat if you want to experiment. Darker bases will allow more refraction as mentioned, but some interesting color effects can be had by using other bases. They will lend their color "tone" to the chameleon color refractions.
Okay, enough of that!

Lynn

cozee

Lynn, I've used layering, or "stacking" as you have mentioned when doing ghost flames on a chameleon job. It is my understanding that the glass facets reflect specific color thus the controlled change from one to another.

DWK5150

Originally posted by Lynn Livingston

<b>Just wanted to mention that my experience seems to indicate that the less material applied, the more radical the color shift effect.</b> We've done several projects with chameleon type paints, and they all work the same. But, the more coats we put on, the more docile the color shifting becomes.
I think it's because the chameleon type paints are not actually paint pigments, but very tiny glass platelets, cut into facet form. It's the faceting that generates the refraction of light waves that we see as color. Stacking too many platelets on top of each other tends to trap more of the refraction, and thus less to bounce out to your eye.
We now use this "stacking" as a technique to mute, dilute, or just decrease the effect where and when we need to.
Also, you CAN use other color other than black as a base coat if you want to experiment. Darker bases will allow more refraction as mentioned, but some interesting color effects can be had by using other bases. They will lend their color "tone" to the chameleon color refractions.
Okay, enough of that!

Lynn
[/quote]

That is correct to a point. There are many many variables actually involved that can change that. Your spray gun setup is one and that is a HUGE one. If you want to mute the flip of it use a different color base. The resultes are usually better that way. I personally use a siliver base under most of my stuff as you get a way different effect.

If you look around there are factory colors using the chamelon colors in there base coat like for example a 2000 honda gold wing red very nice color by the way. Ford is another one as the Mystic Cobras they have done in 1996 and now 2003 but the 96 is still the best you will ever find out there and you can not purchase that chameleon paint as it was specifiacally made for ford by basf and they have a contract to never reproduce that color except for that specific vehicle. I was able to get ahold of the 96 color but only because I owned a real 96 and wanted to repair the chips in the hood and its a ordeal to get cause a ford and a basf rep come out to actually verify and calculate the exact amount of paint you need to do the repair. When I was finished I had maybe a ounce or a little more left over. Ok enough Im done with my story now.

cozee

One thing I have found out about custom painting is tthat the person doing the painting is a major factor also. Speed, movement, sense of perception all contribute to the overall outcome of any custom job. That is why a board such as this, even though a tad off topic, is a great place to exchange information. Sometimes something the other guy is doing can be incorporated into our own style and we have yet antoher trick under our hats!

Thanks all for your input!!

DWK5150

Greg I will agree probably did get way off track with this topic actually but there is good info for everyone wanting to try it.

cozee

Oh I know. Heck, I am the one that jumped it off on a rabbit trail. And yes, many times it is a great learning excperience to do so!! Things have a tendency to become redundant if you don't!!

I am slowly trying to mix custom airbrushing with pen turning, very slowly!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom