supplies

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wantan0

Hi everybody. I'm new to the IAP and have turned several pens as a hobby, mostly for fun or for gifts.

Currently I am getting the woodcraft pen kits at the nearest woodworking store, but the parts in the kits don't seem very good. The cartridges are not very good, things rarely fit snugly and the plastic bits are so... plastic. so my question is:

1) Are these kits just fine and I just need more practice or are there high end kits and low end kits?

2) If there are kits made a little nicer, what is your favorite supplier?

Thanks for helping a newbie out.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glycerine

There are nicer kits from other companies. Penn State Industries and Craft Supplies USA are two of the bigger ones, but you can also buy from IAP members. Just about any place will have "high end" and "low end" kits.
Personally, I prefer the kits from CSUSA (Craft Supplies USA), but some of the higher end kits have been discontinued... Look around and ask more questions, you'll learn more quickly.
And WELCOME to the IAP!

dhallnc

I bought some kits from Craft Supply and made my first on today. Put it together to find it will not write.

I bought 15 of their better slimline kits. I hope this is not standard.

glycerine

I bought some kits from Craft Supply and made my first on today. Put it together to find it will not write.

Sometimes I find that the ink in any of the kits is not all that good, no matter where they are purchased from. I usually throw away the ink refills and use better ones. I will say that I've never had one not write at all. That's definitely unusual. However, most of our suppliers are good at "making things right", so I bet if you give them a call, they will send you some more refills at no cost.
How is the quality of the pen parts though?

el_d

Did you remove the little "goober cap" that they put at the end of the refill so the ink doesnt dry up?

dhallnc

Sometimes I find that the ink in any of the kits is not all that good, no matter where they are purchased from. I usually throw away the ink refills and use better ones. I will say that I've never had one not write at all. That's definitely unusual. However, most of our suppliers are good at "making things right", so I bet if you give them a call, they will send you some more refills at no cost.
How is the quality of the pen parts though?

I liked the other parts more so than the cheaper kits I bought from Wood Craft. They seem heavier & look nicer.

ctubbs

Welcome to the IAP from West Kentucky. Look under the links button at the top of the home page and there should be links to many of the vendors here. You can find kits from around $1 right on up to a bunch of $. Grab some wood and make shavings and have fun.
Charles

Top Bottom