suggestions please???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tseger

Status
Not open for further replies.

tseger

This is a segment that will be in a segmented bowl for a friend. I have the crosses cut out, my question is what is a good way to fill the cross. Wait a minuite, that probably didn't make sence, He wants the crosses to be white (or close to white) What would be a good way to achieve this. I thought about some glue with a dye added, but would that ever dry? Would some 5 min. epoxy with dye work? I'm trying to find a way, other than wood, because I really dont have any wood suitable for this. Any help appreciated! Tim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeffj13

Tim,

Given how big the area is, I would use wood. I think maple would look nice, so would any other light colored, closed-grain wood.

If you don't have any maple, head to your local lowes. They carry maple boards.

jeff

GaryMGg

Tim,
I'd use Maple or Holly. Send a PM with your address if you don't have any and I'll
mail you some. Be sure to include the size of the necessary inlay.
Gary

Texatdurango

Tim, I see you solved your problem so this reply is a little too late, but for future reference, I have found that by mixing colored pigments with epoxy works fine and polishes up nice. Here is a shot of a sample piece I made using different colors. The grooves are 1/8" and the pigments were purchased at a local Hobby Lobby. The #652 Macropearl is really white!

George

200752015726_colored%20epoxies.jpg
<br />

tseger

Originally posted by Texatdurango
<br />Tim, I see you solved your problem so this reply is a little too late, but for future reference, I have found that by mixing colored pigments with epoxy works fine and polishes up nice. Here is a shot of a sample piece I made using different colors. The grooves are 1/8" and the pigments were purchased at a local Hobby Lobby. The #652 Macropearl is really white!

George

200752015726_colored%20epoxies.jpg
<br />
George, George, George, Where were you yesterday?LOL. I have some of that stuff, but I was afraid it would never cure,in a reasonable time at least, with the cross cut out so deep. Have you ever done this on something deep like this? Tim

Randy_

Originally posted by tseger
<br />.....I have some of that stuff, but I was afraid it would never cure,in a reasonable time at least, with the cross cut out so deep. Have you ever done this on something deep like this?

Epoxy cures by a chemical reaction between the resin and the hardener so it should not matter how deep or thick the application is.

tseger

Epoxy cures by a chemical reaction between the resin and the hardener so it should not matter how deep or thick the application is.
[/quote]
Thanks,Randy, I'm gonna give it a try. Tim

BigRob777

So, what did you use?

I'm doing 3 (2 purpleheart and 1 bloodwood in the center) crosses on a hill of zebrawood (solid and veneer) for our new church building. I guess I'll be asking for advice for that one. It'll probably be a total of 18" tall.
Rob

tseger

Originally posted by BigRob777
<br />So, what did you use?

I'm doing 3 (2 purpleheart and 1 bloodwood in the center) crosses on a hill of zebrawood (solid and veneer) for our new church building. I guess I'll be asking for advice for that one. It'll probably be a total of 18" tall.
Rob
To tell the truth, Rob, I dont know[:D]. It's some wood I found in a box of cutoffs that my Uncle gave me several years back when he worked at a place that made custom guitars. Man I wish he still had that job!!
This bowl too will be placed in a church. The church that my friend goes to has just rebuilt and will be moving into the new church soon.
Be sure to post pics of your bowl when completed!

johnnycnc

That is some fine looking work.
You have done an excellent job on what
appears to have been a tough project!
Very nice look on the segments and colors.
And the cross adds to it in a special way.
Thanks for sharing[:)]

tseger

Thanks for the comments, the only thing I really had trouble with was the cross inlay. I really wanted to do with the epoxy instead of the wood to try that out. When my wife and my mother saw the finished bowl they both wanted one so I'll get my chance to experiment a little. The other two are already started. Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom