statesman FP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edstreet

I just finished a statesman pen by request and I put some high grade english walnut on it. The real treat came when I put ink in it today and wrote with it. It is the smoothest pen I have EVER used and I am told that is because of the ball.

Before I mail it to him I want to get some good ink and some paper, I read in one of the other post about 2 types of paper and some ink remover but how about ink? Any good brands to get?

BTW here is the pen.
IMG_4476.JPG

Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

Nice pen, but make sure you clean & flush it before you send it. In the eyes of most FP users, it's bad form to "ink" a pen that is not yours.

Have you ever used a fountain pen before this? I love how they write and the end to ball point "skip". I went to fountian pens only last summer and I have about 10 in my personal collection.

As for ink, that can be a personal prefrence. I like Visconti and Diamine the best, but Noodlers, Private Reserve as well as many others are all great.
Here is a good "ink link" to start with. => www.pendemonium.com

Oh, and Pear Tree Pens has a great sample program to try most of them out before you buy a full bottle. I HIGHLY recomend this as many colors are not what they seam and that is a very personal prefrence. => http://shop.peartreepens.com/main.sc

edstreet

I bought 2 of these kits and this nib I will be keeping and send him the other one that is not inked. I am going to make the other one for myself. The original intent for 2 was in case I botch one for some reason I would have the other one to get at least one pen from it.

I have used fountain pens a few times but nothing that elaborate or high quality. I figured get some high quality ink to go with a high quality pen :)

Ed

Firefyter-emt

Sounds like a convert to me! Funny thing is that over the last year I have put a real effort into my handwriting. I even get comments on it now where I had not used cursive handwriting in years.

I had typed out a long "ink thoughts" post for the new FP forum, but I closed the window and lost it. In it I had mentioned my favorite inks, and by far I like the two I mentioned before, but I have about 8 brands that I use. Go to that site I listed and find a color you think you will like. From there order a sample from James @ Pear Tree Pens. You can order 4 samples for about $4.00 shipped, and they come in nice bottles that you can reuse to give bottled ink as a "starter" when you sell one.

I would recomend Visconti and Diamine for nice inks, but look at Noodlers as well. They have large bottles and a VAST aray of colors.

I really have to make myself a Statesman. I have a Jr. Statesman in Cocobolo that I use often, but I like the nib & holder of the large one better. The problem is that the kit is just a bit too big.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Nice work, Ed! I do nearly all of my writing at work with a fountain pen. Since the ink cannot run on my charts, I use the Noodlers bulletproof and like it. Lee will tell you, and he is right, that it will feather a bit on the nib, but it the Noodlers writes nicely. I like it a bit better than Private Reserve with respect to the nib staying ready to write.

As far as paper, a good resume quality paper will serve well.

Again, very nice work!

Firefyter-emt

Steve, are you sure that you are not seeing the adjusted price for the eye-dropper cap? It's an extra charge for that and you will pay an extra $1.60 for them.

BTW, I just noticed that his site says that he now has 400 inks to try!

I do like the Noodlers, and in fact I LOVE the Tiananmen red they sell. William is right, the bulletproof inks will creep on the nib, but I have not noticed this with the non-bulletproof ones. It's a trade off that you need to decide if you want to live with. I think it would be nice to have one pen inked with one of them for security. I have one inked with Zhivago which is either a black with a shade of green or the darkest green you have ever laid eyes on!

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
It depends on what color you want, and if you need permanent ink.

For red, I use Waterman Red, for most note taking at work I use Private Reserve Tropical Blue. When I need permanent to sign certification documents for the FAA or write a cheque I use Noodlers Legal Lapis or Noodlers Black. Sometimes if I am goofing around I'll use Lamy Blue or Red.

Compared to the Waterman Red, the Lamy Red is rather timid, but sometimes folks at work get scared when I mark up their documents with Waterman Red as it sort of screams YOU MESSED UP since it is so intense.

edstreet

wow, I have heard that fountain pens can be easily 'washed' for check writing and the like but I see they have ink that this is not an issue. This is quite good to know and I am placing an order now :) Thanks!

Ed

Top Bottom