Statesman Blank Length

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stolicky

I am looking to order a full-sized Statesman kit (never made one) and some tru-stone. From different vendors (both IAP members) I can get the tru-stone I want in either 5" or 5.5". The 5" is currently much less than the 5.5". However, according to the CSUSA Web site, it says the kit requires a 5.5" blank.

So, my question is: Will 5" work for a full-sized Statesman?

Note: I typically drill very slow, relieving often, and drill through the bottom. I do not leave a little bit and then cut off after drilling.

Thanks IAP world.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wayne

IAP Library Manager
Staff member
Chris,
Here's the info that I have in the Chart.
Craft Supply Statesman Screw Cap RB & FP - Cap 2.05 & Body 2.37 finished lengths.
You'll need to determine how much extra length you want.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well Chris---here's a consideration you may want---or not!

The finished size of the upper tube of a full size statesman is .65", leaving you .1" (ONE tenth) from a 3/4" blank. Which means you can't be "off" by more than a hundredth or so.

Were it ME making the pen, I would spend extra and get a 7/8" blank.

But, it's NOT me.

fernhills

Hi, that large cap barrel is a bear to drill and not blow the blank, especially if it is a highly figured burl or plastics. I would not try and drill through. It is really easy to cut off the end and see a nice clean hole. Sometimes or most of the time the upper cap barrel needs to be reamed out a little by sanding so tube isn`t so tight. Having that extra length helps you to push the tube in deeper so your tube isn`t out at the ends where it may have been possible that you ovaled the entrance and exit by sanding the hole to make bigger. Carl

Top Bottom