Stabilizing material

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie

I have just stumbled on some very rare saguaro cactus skeleton. I usually use quick dry polyurethane to stabilize it but I'm wondering if there might be something better. I haven't had any problems with the poly but I'm almost out and if I have to buy more stuff, I want to get the best stuff I can get. Any ideas? Thanks.

SteveRussell

Hello Jamie,

If the amount of material you have is small, it will be expensive for you to gather the needed supplies to do a good stabilization job yourself. Having said that, if you still want to proceed, you may wish to look at Nelsonite 30B02, Resolute, Acryloid B72 or Resinol 90C. These vary in their requirements (vacuum, pressure, both, heated cure, non-heated cure etc) and are expensive.

If there is only a piece or two, look at Minwax Wood Hardener. You can get good results with it and its available at every HD or Lowes. You can also opt to send your material out to a professional stabilization company who will charge you based on weight (minimum order). This may be the best option for you in the long run. Good luck to you and all the best to you and yours!

JimGo

Like Mannie said, Curtis has done some cactus skeletons. However, he didn't really "stabilize" them, he cast them in a resin (actually, I think he used epoxy). IMHO, and only MY opinion, as porous as the skeletons were, it no longer is stabilization, and truly is casting (no offense intended - just drawing a distinction between the two processes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom