Stabilize or PR cast

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevers

Hi All, Looking at the sample below, would you say I need to have it stabilized or does it need to be cast in some type of resin? There are large voids and pockets in the pieces. Or are they the same thing, when you stabilize, is it like casting?
Also, who does this? I have seen something about pricing by the blank and pricing by the pound. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is a sample of the stock. I put it on the lathe to get a look at it. I wanted to see if it was worth the time and money. I think so, how about you?

2007211222047_burl%201%20600.jpg

200721122219_burl%202%20600.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leevis

It means to saturate the material with thin CA glue (cyanoacrylate) before turning and then stop the lathe and reapply the glue periodically while turning. The glue will act as a stabilizer.

its_virgil

CA is what is commonly known as Super Glue. We use it in several viscosities and purchase it in amounts from 2 oz to 16 oz not in the little tubes or 1/4 oz containers. Several of us use it for a finish on our pens. Check the library for several member's tutorials on how this is done. We also use the thin to soak soft wood to make it harder and easier to turn.

You actually have some different ways to treat this wood. You can fill the voids with powders like ground stone or embossing powder or coffee grounds and saturate it with CA. Also, you could color some 2 part epoxy and fill the voids and then turn. Having it stabilized or cast in resin would only fill the voids with clear resin unless the resin is tinted.

Two choices for professional stabilization are River Ridge Products owned by Steve White or SSI. Google either one and you will find their websites.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by stevers
<br />I guess I missed that day at school. What does it mean to CA while I turn? Any good tutorials?

stevers

Thank you Don, thats what I was after.
I know what CA is, I just didn't know how to use it to stabilize blanks on the lathe.
Thanks for the info on PRP and SSL.

low_48

With kind of pourosity, I would use a small piece of cardboard like a squeege with some medium or thick CA. Give it plenty of time before spinning and don't use accelerator. You might like to use some walnut dust, or coffee grounds, then thin CA to set that as a filler. Just some ideas.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Personally, I would cast it in resin and have done quite a few that way. I used some Alumilite clear tinted with amber tint on some maple burl that looks very similar to what you have and it looks fantastic.

alxe24

Is that cork? It sure looks like it.
I would saturate the @$&)$(*@ out of it with thin ca first since is going to penetrate to the deepest part of the cavities. Then I would do the filling with whatever you choose that way the thin CA will set up where the powders and thicker materials would not reach.
Again Is that cork?[:D]

stevers

No Alxe, It's not cork. It came off the side of a Eucalyptus tree.
I may give the CA soaking thing a try. I may also be posting to ask a lot more questions. I don't understand the whole idea of soaking the blank in CA. Wouldn't it just run off, or never dry? And the part about filling??? I'll go to the archive's and look it up to see if I can find a tutorial before I ask too many more questions.
Thanks for all the input. I'll post something when I get something done with the stuff. Right now it's still drying.

Edit; I must admit, it feels like cork. Soft and spongy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom