Spiral Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Tom McMillan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom McMillan

I finally made a spiral pen today. I've wanted to make one for some time---I had originally planned on using some specialized tools like a router crafter or mill lathe to do it---However, I have made spirals on walking sticks with a wood rasp, and there was some discussion about making spirals on a pen with a rasp---so, I got a small rasp at the hardware store today. I used a piece of maple to experiment with it, and made a bloodwood cb for it.

Here's a photo of it (I scanned this photo and the reflection on the cb makes it look misshapen---but it's not).

Image Insert:
20047373928_amaplespiralpen1.jpg

67.1KB

Thanks,

Tom McMillan
Washougal, WA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Tom, Havn't seen this for a while. I know it was demod at the rondy. It looks really good. How long did it take to lay it out and cut teh spiral?

Tom McMillan

Thanks Daniel. To lay out the spiral I cut thin strips from a large label and stuck it to the pen. Then I drew a pencil line next to the strips and removed the strips. Only took about 5 or 10 minutes to lay it out on the pen.

Then I did the roughing out cuts with the small rasp following the center of the line. I went over it with the rasp a number of times to give it some depth and to even it out. Then I used a small nail and wrapped sandpaper around it to sand the spiral----went from 150 to 1200 with sandpaper. I also sanded the spiral with micromesh as well as I could (just did that by hand without the nail). It probably took me about 2 1/2 or 3 hours or so to complete the pen. Hopefully I could speed that up a good deal after some more practice.

Tom McMillan

debturnswood

Tom, I have wondered a long time how to do a spiral pen. I think your work is beautiful.. Thanks for sharing the pointers. I am not the brightest bulb in the pack so I have a question for you... I know it is probably obvious to most.... When you do the rasping for the spiral, is the pen mounted on a lathe, if so is the lathe on or off? thanks a lot, and keep showing that beautiful talent.

Tom McMillan

This is my first attempt on a spiral pen---so, guess I've wondered for a long time too---thanks for your kind comments.

When I rasped the spiral I did have the pen blanks already turned close to the dimensions I wanted. The pen blanks were mounted on the mandrel on the lathe when I did the rasping. I turned the mandrel manually with one hand and did the rasping with the other hand. I also did the sanding of the spiral (the recessed area) with the lathe off. However, I did run the lathe to sand the top area of the pen (the area that's not recessed as the spiral). I also ran the lathe to apply the finish.

Tom McMillan

Evan

Hi Tom,

That looks beautiful! I especially like the look of the centerband... matches the rest of the pen well.

tipusnr

I really like your pen. The mechanics of turning the spirals without a fancy jig escapes me though. Maybe I can get someone at the turners club to show me next fall.

debturnswood

Evan, from this discussion board I went to see your album, I have to say on the contrary, I like the subtle difference in the Black wood ring against the cocabola, and think the contrast is nice. great pens, keep up the terrific work.

Evan

Hi Deb,

Thanks for the comments. Hopefully, I will have better pictures soon to replace the fuzzy photos, and some new pens. (Time to venture into the Photography section and see Daniel's posts of advice...)

It's hard to keep up with commenting on all the nice new pens people have posted recently. I like your dyed curly mango capri. And Daniel's latest bowling ball pencil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom