Spalted Oak Burl Seirras

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from leehljp

Status
Not open for further replies.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Two spalted oak burl Seirras were done on the spur of the moment this morning. Long story behind the burl.

tn_Spalted%20Oak%20burl%20pens.jpg

56955467-63cf-02000128-.jpg

Burl history:
Next door neighbor had a 5 ft thick huge oak tree (over 200 years old) fall next to their house last August. Most of it was cut up and hauled off professionally. A couple of limbs and pieces were left behind. One piece was an oak burl about 8 inches in diameter and 6 inchs thick. Two weeks ago we had a heavy rain and all ditches in our little town were flooded up to the roads. In our front ditch was the burl floating next to the road. I got it as I was leaving and threw it way up into the yard.

Late that afternoon it was back in the ditch and the water had drained. (Wife threw it back). I got it and put it in my pen shed.

We had 4 guests from the N.O. area of Louisiana come for a visit this weekend and I made them a slimline pen each. One expressed interest in watching me make a pen as he has been looking at a couple of pen turning catalogs. I took the oak burl, cut it on my TS, microwaved the blanks for 30 seconds, 4 times over a 20 minute period.

Drilled the holes and made the pens. Turned out well. the two men who watched - do not want to carry them in their pockets but keep them in a pouch. I think I have hooked a Louisiana State Policeman into pen turning. :D I showed him how to turn and let him do some of the turning on his. He is proud of it!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

airrat

Very nice looking.
Hank just make sure he does NOT use that pen to write you a ticket.
Hastur and I donated a few to the Mesa Frat order of Police. (a group we cater their christmas party every year) We gave them one condition. They could not use them against us.

JimGo

Hank, Hank, Hank, haven't you learned? You're not supposed to hook them on turning, you're supposed to hook them on SELLING <u>YOUR</u> PENS!!! I mean, it's hard to make pen sas nice as the ones you've posted here, and they don't want to be bothered, what with a 10%-20% commission coming their way just from selling them!

Johnathan

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Hank, Hank, Hank, haven't you learned? You're not supposed to hook them on turning, you're supposed to hook them on SELLING <u>YOUR</u> PENS!!! I mean, it's hard to make pen sas nice as the ones you've posted here, and they don't want to be bothered, what with a 10%-20% commission coming their way just from selling them!

How about just hooking them on BUYING, I think that works better.
Nice looking pens.

fiferb

I love the pens. I hadn't considered turning oak because of the open grain. We had to cut down a huge oak last year. I think I'm going digging through the piles of firewood today![8D]

Charles

Very nice pens. Make sure you tell the new turner to get ready to work a lot of extra jobs to afford this fast addiction. Hope you gave him the web site to join us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom