Something else I did this weekend, gloat WARNING

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from low_48

Status
Not open for further replies.

low_48

I took Friday afternoon off and spent alot of hours this weekend cutting these.
Over 700 blanks from the curly oak tree. I would say a little less than 1/2 have the great spalting too.:D

Rich

2005274229_oakblanks.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

I will have to change the bandsaw blade after all this oak. I first take the slabs off the log with the chainsaw and usually take off the bark as well. I bring it home and cut the slabs into 6" long chunks and then cut them into 1" slabs on the bandsaw. I take those to the tablesaw and finish cut them all into 7/8 square. I've been making the final squaring cuts on the table saw so that I can see the figure and color better. The bandsaw is too course to see that. If I cut burls, I leave them 1" square off the bandsaw till they are dry. They twist around so bad drying that I need the extra thickness to make the blanks to size latter.

Rich

JimGo

Rich,
I think we are all going to be anxiously awaiting next weekend's pictures, with all of those turned into pens. Can't wait to see 'em!

(yes, I'm kidding...I figure that's enough to keep you busy for at least TWO weekends)

opfoto

Just a suggestion.... I saw a used duplicator for sale. Cheap!!! Seriously, that is a lot of blanks. Can't wait to see some pens.

low_48

My friend Terry knows the situation around here. Not that I have stopped bringing in wood, but am planning on diguising it. Let me introduce "Curly Blank", my new shop helper. I sent this picture to my wife to introduce them. She mentioned that he looked like a square, but was really stacked![:D][:D] I think he will need a mustache to work in my shop though!

Rich

200527223242_oakblanks%20copy.jpg
<br />

Gary

That is one stack of blanks! Do they come with a hat?

Originally posted by low_48
<br />My friend Terry knows the situation around here. Not that I have stopped bringing in wood, but am planning on diguising it. Let me introduce "Curly Blank", my new shop helper. I sent this picture to my wife to introduce them. She mentioned that he looked like a square, but was really stacked![:D][:D] I think he will need a mustache to work in my shop though!

Rich

200527223242_oakblanks%20copy.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom