Some pens just don't go right.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim Boyd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Boyd

I think I'm going to stop laminating for a while. Actually the laminating was easy. I decided on a closed end Baron when the pin chuck thread showed up. When making the pin chuck I discovered the feed on my lathe doesn't work half way between centers. I remembered to use a dial indicater after I cut the first one too small. You can not find a small brad when you need one. After you find one make sure you cover it when clipping off the head or you will need to hunt another brad. When drilling a closed end blank you are not supposed to drill all of the way thru the blank. Sometimes ca glue will not harden even after a couple of hours. Pay attention to the assembly instructions because they do tell you where the threaded part to hold the cap goes. When useing an old drill bit to dis-assemble the cap to install the afore mentioned threaded piece you can break the plactic cap cover. And old drill bit flutes are still sharp. You cannot hold a cap and try to dis-assemble it when your hand is bleeding. Blood is slippery[V]

ClosedendBaroneSmall.jpg

ClosedendBaroncSmall.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Jim, I can't stop laughing. Beautiful pen, BTW! Great job! It looks like you finaly recouperated enough to get it back together. Don't you just hate it when Murphy shows up unannounced?

After I recover from laughing perhaps I should offer my sympathies [:D] Been there done that & I didn't even require laminations.

JimGo

Jim, having learned some of those same lessons, I can completely sympathize! At least it was worth the blood, sweat, and (probable) tears that went into it - that looks GREAT! The end cap is a nice touch, even though it wasn't what you were going for.

woodscavenger

Several comments:
1. I love the running commentary. Been there and done that with my first Barons. I learned the only way to get the threaded section out of a closed pen is to use a small file and cut through the ring from the inside.

2. The diamond shaped inlay is much better than the round one with this style and might looke even better in the face center of the design instead of behind it.

3. Scrap the metal cap and do the same type of end as you did on the bottom! That would look great!

Overall very cool work. Great innovation and obviously some nice lessons learned!

Deere41h

Jim.....What a great story and what must have finally been a good experience. Your pen turned out great. I too like the SouthWest look about it, and I also like the closed end look.

Thanks for sharing both your story and the good looking pen.

MDWine

Evidently you did a real nice finish, no blood stains at all!
It is a very pretty pen, and great wood work!
Only you can determine if it was worth the effort, but from here it appears that it was!!
NPGJ... or was it GJNP [;)]

Fleabit

At least you found your sense of humour after the fact! The pen turned out great looking. I agree with the other comment of scraping the metal cap. Great job and a nice save....Jim 1...Murphy (though he tried HARD) 0 !

Still laughing from experience,I learned early to wrap the bit flutes with duct tape before trying to dissassemble. Bleeding does get in the way of progress and the wife just shakes her head, no sympathy....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom