Snakewood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JBCustomPens

Hello,

I'm about to turn a pen out of snakewood. I'll post pics when I'm done. Any turning suggestions? I know snakewood is prone to cracking. Thanks. I can't wait to see the end result.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Max

Somewhere there's a saying written in stone that goes something like this---"There are only two types of Snakewood---one that is cracked and the one that's going to."

Wish you the best of luck.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
If it takes you a couple of days to drill it, you're going slow enough.
Don't push it. Sharp tools.. and keep checking the wood as you're
turning. Test the temp with the back of your hand, like you would
test a baby bottle. If it's warm, stop. Don't forget that the bushings
and the mandrel hold a lot more heat than the wood does.

It's beautiful when it's done..

Hello,

I'm about to turn a pen out of snakewood. I'll post pics when I'm done. Any turning suggestions? I know snakewood is prone to cracking. Thanks. I can't wait to see the end result.

Just watch your heat transfer... also don't leave the finished pen where it can absorb heat.... I've made 3 or 4 from snakewood... two cracked and two haven't (yet)

Darn, Charlie beat me to the punch... stopped in the middle of my post to watch Texans score on the Titans ...

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I have only turned one piece of Snakewood. It cracked! Then I started doing my research and every reputable source I referenced or spoke to said about the same thing as Charlie. Drill slow! Drill 30 seconds (maybe 1/2/ inch) then let the blank cool for about 2 - 3 hours. Then drill about 30 more seconds. Make sure your drill bit and turning tools are scarey sharp and be very careful sanding. I have another blank but haven't gotten up the patience to attempt it again. Good luck!

va3jff

I read all the warnings about Snakewood cracking; take the drilling 1/2" at a time, don't turn it all at once, stop when it gets warm, etc.

Of course I read all of this after I had turned my only Snakewood blank.

Funny thing is, inspite of my ignorance, mine didn't crack! I drilled it straight through all at once and then glued in the tubes. Came back the next day and squared the ends and turned the pen.

It was only a 1/2" square blank, so it became a slimline ... but certainly one of the nicest slimlines I've turned.

Take you time, be careful, and I'm sure the pen will turn out nicely for you.

Jeff

its_virgil

I'm not totally convinced that heat is as much the culprit as it is reported to be. I'm not trying to start an argument...just not convinced. If it were, then why does the cracking take so long...why not crack during drilling when the heat is present? I always drill snakewood in one sitting...in the same amount of time I would take to drill any other blank. Never has the cracking happen soon afterwards. It has always been several weeks later.

For me fretting over whether snakewood will crack or not is not worth the hassle. Life is too short. How can we keep it from cracking? I have no idea nor do I care to try all of the solutions that have been suggested over the past few years.

I make lots of snakewood pens and I love the wood. I want it to crack as soon as it will. Crack away! Once the wood has cracked I repair the crack with a slurry of sanding dust and CA. Onec the crack has been filled with the slurry it is almost invisible. I have never sold a snakewood pen that I did not allow to crack first. Repair the crack and I've never had a pen returned because it cracked again....maybe they have but I'm not aware of any.

A cracked and repaired snakewood pen is nicer than most any other wooden pen....just my opinion and agreeing or not is OKAY. I know one person who agrees....Ciao Anthony.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Thanks guys! After 5 sessions of drilling today, I was able to proudly insert the tube into the snakewood!:biggrin: I'll post pics when I'm done.

KenV

I was rummaging in the wood pile and found a piece of snakewood about 6 inches wide and a foot long -- with 4 longitudal cracks down the best figure. Glad it got that over so I will not be so worried about cutting it.

I am on Don Ward's side on this one -- restored snakewood is a fine fine appearance in a writing instrument -- (I think restored is a better "R" word Don).

its_virgil

My understanding had been that snakewood doe not stabilize. I wonder if anyone knows for sure? If I purchase stabilized snakewood am I being duped?Being processed through the stabilizing process does not necessarily mean that the stabilization worked. Color me confused.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Why not stabilize it first?
Chris and I got a couple of stabilized blanks a few weeks ago from Bad Dog Burls, and they turned beautifully, With no cracks yet

Top Bottom