Snake Bite Fever

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from arjudy

Status
Not open for further replies.

arjudy

I got some rattlesnake blanks today from BB and could not wait to turn them. I think the lower barrel is too wide and will make adjustments on the next one. It is O.K. for a first try. This stuff doesn't turn like anything I've ever used before. Very delicate stuff. The kit is a black ti baron. Please critique if you would like.

20057102241_RattlesnakeIAP.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

arjudy

The blanks are snake skin wrapped around the brass tube and then cast in polyester resin. You can go to www.arizonasilhouette.com and click on 'new products' to see the rough snakeskin blanks.

its_virgil

Everyone should MAKE one of their own at least once. OH, can't make just one, huh Anthony. They are fun to do.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by WoodChucker
<br />Nice job! I have to try one of these, everyone should have at least one. [:D]

arjudy

Thanks for all of the nice comments. You are right about not being able to turn just one. I ordered two pairs from BB and can not wait to turn the next one!

gpadgham

I agree, they are fun, and everyone should make one... I suppose it doesn't have to be a snake skin one, just something wrapped around a barrel and cast in resin like that ought to do. I would advise against a newb turner trying it though, unless you can aquire the blanks cheaply. I found that my skew tended to give the best results for shaving those things down safely. My spindle gouge, even though freshly sharpened, was leaving little "pock holes" behind. (Both my gouge and skew were shap enough to shave the hair off my arm, I checked [:D] ). Got down close and then used some 220 sand paper to finish mine off. I wish I had access to snake skins, as I'm sure I could make these things myself, BB gets a nice premium for them... (or at least someone down the chain does. Here's to hoping I can sell them for an equally good price)

B

Bill Baumbeck

I would kindly ask that anyone using photos from our Website would please ask for permission before you do so. We don't 'own' all of the pictures posted in our site and it is only common courtesy to ask before you use someone else's material.

AR, I know you didn't mean any harm and you were just trying to provide clarification.

BB

JimGo

As some here know, I'm a big geek. My background is computer engineering, as well as intellectual property law (kind of explains why most of my posts are incredibly long (law) and nonsensical (have you ever read a computer manual?). In the interest of helping inform our members, what happened here is a pretty common misconception with respect to copyright law. As Bill points out, just because a picture appears on a web site does not push that picture into the public domain from a Copyright law perspective. This is true even if no copyright claim is made on/in the picture itself or the surrounding web page. A relatively recent change in U.S. law has made it so that Copyright rights are inherent the moment a form of expression (writing, picture, etc.) is reduced to tangible form, and thus copyable. This gives "authors" (the generic term used when talking about copyrights) the ability to more readily protect their works. Even though a use such as the one above is likely to be seen as de minimus, and therefore not eating into the author's rights, it might be better to provide a link to the web site containing the picture or other information, or, as Bill suggested, contacting the web site owner to get permission to reproduce the picture or other work.

HTH!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks for that clarification, Jim (and Bill!). Now that I understand, that's one less thing for me to step on people's toes over! [:D] New mantra for the day: Link or Permission. Link or Permission. [:p]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom