Simple Slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tipusnr

Status
Not open for further replies.

tipusnr

Decided to try a little cleaner lines on one of my pens for a change.

20041228131121_Pernambuco.jpg

The wood is pernambuco (a favorite of my wife's)with a WoodCraft Black Titanium Kit. Had to glue the top on as it was a little undersized and ended up using acetone to clean the clip but it came out OK.

The friction finish is HUT Crystal Coat and Ren Wax. Original design had both of the high points as crisp lines as this wood is sturdy but it made the pen uncomfortable to hold so softened them. Not much grain to these pieces which is why I added the banding with my cutoff tool for visual interest.

Down the road I may try this design again filling in the banding with tru-stone or another material but not ready for that yet.

Scan came out grainier than the pen which really has a warm look and feel to it. Almost hope this one doesn't sell.:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Good looking pen, Bill. I like the shape.

Unfortunately, Chuck, having a pen in my pocket has not prevented people from wanting to buy it. A couple years ago I was using oak dowel to practice making pens. This pen looked just like an oak dowel, of course, not particularly pretty as far as I am concerned. Well, this woman at a flea market saw it, grabbed it, asked how much, and paid for it. My pocket pen was gone! There are all kinds of people in this world, I guess some like dowel pens.

PenWorks

Nice pen Tip, I like all the bands you put on the pen and the little flair on the cap, very subtle, yet very appealing. Glad your shop is dry and you're back in business. Anthony

wayneis

Nice job Tip. I've had some of that wood sitting around in my shop for months and now I finely know what it will look like finished. I think that I'll have to get it drilled and glued up, maybe mix some contrasting wood with it. Thanks for the insight.

Wayne

G

Slick looking pen or maybe sleek?
I know it's hard to get true color in a picture on the web at times.
Do I detect a hint of rose near the "bump" at the clip?

Tom McMillan

I like the shape Tip!!! Good job!!! Interesting looking wood. Another thought might be to laminate a contrasting wood at the top and bottom of each blank then to use a shallow "V" shape at the point where the dark wood meets the lighter wood.

tipusnr

Thanks guys. Most of your string players will recognize pernambuco as it is the preimer wood for making fine bows from. It can weather (season) to a chocolate brown but I've seen bows thirty years old that are still light colored.

Eagle...Don't see the rose in the pen but my color vision isn't perfect (kept me out of electronics).

I like the lamination ideas as well and may also try that in the future.

Again thanks!

One more thought. I would stay away from gold kits with this wood as the gold against the wood makes the color strange somehow. With my vision I can't tell you how but definitely put the finished wood beside the gold BEFORE you put it together!!

jkirkb94

I think the idea of the simple banding with the cutoff tool gave great visual interest to the pen. I know it has got to be the way it photographed but the high points look like they have dents![:D]. The black titanium kit was a good choice. Recommend using Galena( hope I spelled this right) for an inlay material with this colored kit. Bill carries it. He also has detailed intructions on using his inlays. Kirk[8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom