shaving brush help?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from r-ice

r-ice

Okay so I've had all this stuff at home and have been busy turning pens and finally today took the plunge and started it. I was wondering the side with the hole closest to the headstock, how do you face it? I don't have a mill that would mill the end to correct the slant.

here is the photo

http://imgur.com/FYT7S

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
IF you have a scroll chuck, you chuck the blank from the closed end and face the hole end.

IF you don't have a scroll chuck, you can make a "Jam chuck" by turning a dowel between centers. One end matches the morse 2 taper in your headstock, the other end has a sloping tenon that holds the drilled blank in place. Bring up the tailstock for support of your blank and use a parting tool to face your blank (the hole side, now in the jam chuck).

Last edited:

PenMan1

The best way I have found to do brushes is on a bottle stopper mandrel. This gives you room to face the opening where the badger knot is inserted. It also makes it easy to finish the other end without any re-chucking.

PenMan1

If you have a collet chuck, a regular old 3/8 bolt threaded into the blank works great, too! Simply slide the bolt toward the tailstock for room to face the hole.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you have a collet chuck, a regular old 3/8 bolt threaded into the blank works great, too! Simply slide the bolt toward the tailstock for room to face the hole.

This WILL WORK!!! Cut gently with a sharp tool, you have little room for error.

PenMan1

This WILL WORK!!! Cut gently with a sharp tool, you have little room for error.

I use six inch bolt and a jam nut. So can have over three inches of room. Us old guys with bad eyes need a "wide birth" :)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You are probably too good a turner to have experienced this, Andy. When you have 3/8" bolt supporting your turning, a bit too much pressure into the wood and it will send the blank off center, which makes it HIT your tool HARD, and "not good" thiings happen.

el_d

I use a paddle bit to square the ends and place the center hole for the 3/8inch tap to fit.

An oversized Forstner will work also.

OKLAHOMAN

I do it just like Andy, useing a bottle stopper mandrel. Drill a 11/32 hole and tap 3/8 on acrylics and on wood just screw it on.

fernhills

I just back the BS mandrel out of the collet a little and get it square. Or i what i do most of the time is turn the blank between centers till round and square on a disc sander. Doing it the disc sander way insures my drill and tap meets a flat face.

Top Bottom