Set back----need more heat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Max

Well I have had a set back in working with the PMMA.
My shop is heating with a woodburning stove----so in the mornings it's colder than a well diggers back side. After several hours it might get all they way up to 40 degrees.
This ain't going to work useing PMMA----the system I am working with requires using heat. It's just to cold out in my shop.
I may have to wait until spring to move ahead with this. The cost of heating my shop 24/7 would be huge.
I will let you know when I try again

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Max

Tom are you trying to get me killed. I had to fight to get a desk in the house for building pens. Margie thought the extra couch would be good for guest----yah right

low_48

How about an electric blanket over the molds, pressure pot, whatever...? I know some furniture guys that use an electric blanket over their vacuum veneering bag to bring the heat up during the winter months to speed up the urea formaldahyde glue. It works great. Provides insulation and heat over the materials without really adding a huge amount to the utility bill. Saw some on Ebay for less than $20 delivered.

Gary Max

When I get the time, I am going to move the whole set-up to the other side if my shop. This will mean upgradeing some wiring but will get me out of a corner. Sawdust is a big concern of mine---something about sawdust and heat for long periods of time just doesn't seen to work for me. This move will get the system out in the open more and it will be sitting on a metal table top.
The blanket ideal sounds good but this is to hot for that.
Thanks for the ideal.
I have been working on this for several months---all I am doing is getting closer[:D]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Did you anticipate, when you started penturning, that you would also turn into a chemist and physicist (I didn't!!)??

Gary Max

Ed -----I am think of putting up hazmat signs on the shop door or at least Class 3 Flamable sign.
Between the DNA bath---gas----more kinds of finish than you can count and now the PMMA---I am glad I don't smoke.

Gary Max

I am working on setting up a system so I can stablize wood. The goal is to sell a few stablized blanks. I am not going to stablize wood for people---heck their is a guy that is doing it for a buck.
That is a very good price---my set-up is to small. I am looking at maybe doing 20 blanks a week---sell a few --turn the rest.
Right now I am at stand still ---It will take a full days work to move this all to a different location in my shop. Which means I have to clear two place.
I am just covered up with work right now. Not money just work[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom