Seeing Red

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JimGo

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

EDIT: Sorry about the bad pics - still getting used to my photo booth!

I got to do three pens this weekend, two of which were red. The first is acrylic from Martin at Woodbin in Canada. The only thing I don't like about these blanks is how long they take to get here! My customer had already purchased a platinum rollerball baron from the same material (he saw the one I made for the Pen in the Hat and tried to buy it form me!), and was anxious to get a matching fountain pen. The blanks took a while to arrive (I had some trouble with drilling his rollerball and went through both of the blanks I had) due to having to work through customs - nothing that Martin could control.

Anyway, I gave this pen to my customer this morning, and he was beyond thrilled. The pics don't do it justice, as there are white specks in the pics that aren't really there - must be bright flashes from the flash.

/forum/albums/JimGo/DSCN3943a.JPG

/forum/albums/JimGo/DSCN3947a.JPG

This next pen is for my inventory, and is made from resin imported from Italy.

/forum/albums/JimGo/DSCN3965a.JPG

/forum/albums/JimGo/DSCN3955a.JPG

As always, comments, critiques, etc. are welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Nice stuff there Jim [:)]
A couple of photo suggestions, no one wants to see the inside cap threads,
and wipe off your fingerprints on the front sections before taking the pic [:D]

JimGo

Yeah, I caught both of those too, but only today as I was actually editing the pictures! I may have to re-shoot the resin picture.

airrat

Nice job, they both look great. To get rid of those flash spots might try diffusing the flash. A photographer told me you can drap nylon over the flash and it would help. Natural light is best she said.

alamocdc

Nice work, Jim. You know, Ren Wax or TSW will eliminate your finger print problem. [:D] At first glance I was going to recommend a lint free cloth that was more lint free... then I read the text. [:0] Stupid question. If you're using a booth, why use the flash on the camera? I quit using mine, set my f-stop at 5.6 and my photos really improved.

JimGo

Sorry guys, I got the resin at the DC pen show last year. The guy who had them for sale only had a few left, and only took cash. As it was, I had to bum $$$ off of MDWine just so I could get a few! I have a little bit left, and will have to find an appropriate kit and recipient for it!

Skye

Did you eat some ribs or potato chips before you took that photo? lol

Really dig the second one, interested in how you got he blank too.

byounghusband

Jim,
Love the blanks and the finished pens!!!

What lighting set up are you using? I am working on getting three clamp lights shining through a white sheet to come out. Diffusing your light source would help your pics.

I have one question concerning the Gold Baron. It might just be the pic, but the metal on the very top of the cap around the black center looks like it got roughed up. Is it just me or did it get scratched?

JimGo

Bob,
That's either a reflection of the black material or another finger print. Good catch though! To me, it looks like the red material might be just slightly oversized too; I think I can see the end poking out beyond the finial. I'll have to look at the pen when I get home.

Skye, I must have forgotten to lick my fingers COMPLETELY clean before I set up the photo shoot! [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom