See! I really DO turn pens sometimes!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JimGo

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

Two different heart/sapwood mix Cocobolo cigar pens, along with a Havana made of Black Palm. Blew up an entire blank's worth of wood trying to drill the Black Palm for the darn Havana, then the main barrel exploded just as I was getting it close to size. I managed to scavenge the pieces and glue everything up without it being TOO obvious. I wound up with what I think is one of my best finishes on the Havana. The Coco's aren't bad either, but the Havana just looks great! Only problem I see is that I over-sanded on one of the Coco's, and that the pen didn't quite press together all the way; I think there may be some junk in the barrel.

As always, comments, critiques, etc. are welcome.

Black Palm:
/forum/albums/JimGo/Black Palm - Open - small.jpg

/forum/albums/JimGo/Black Palm - Closed - small.jpg

Cocobolo pen 1
/forum/albums/JimGo/Cocobolo H and S Pen 1 - Right Side - small.jpg

Cocobolo Pen 2
/forum/albums/JimGo/Cocobolo H and S Pen 2 - Right - small.jpg

/forum/albums/JimGo/Cocobolo H and S Pen 2 - Left - small.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Nice pens.... I sent my palm to Johnny to be stabilized... it makes all the difference in the world when turning that stuff....

JimGo

That's a good idea Tom! I was surprised at how "stringy" the palm is. Of course, when you're drilling with something like a 37/64" bit and you're only drilling into a blank that's, at most, 3/4" square, there isn't much margin for error. Could explain my feelings about the wood!

I did learn something important this time; the quill travel on my very inexpensive HF drill press (which is on sale, BTW) is not perfectly square. In fact, you can see the bit move to the left pretty clearly by eye as the bit is lowered. Good thing to know so I can take this into account on my future big pens.

Draken

Jim,
The other thing I noticed about that drill press is the table flexes down just a bit when lowering the bit. Might want to get a short length of PVC pipe and prop it between the front underside of the table and the benchtop to prevent the flexing. The flexing causes the bit to move towards you as you drill down through the blank.

Cheers,
Draken

Duh, silly me, forgot to mention, nice pens! I too like the hardwood/sapwood combination. [:I]

JimGo

James,
Thanks, the PVC is a great idea! I was thinking of just replacing that work surface with some plywood or some of the MDF I have left over from another project; the fiberboard is left over from the previous owner.

Draken

Just to clarify, the PVC should go from the small metal table attached to the DP, to the benchtop that holds the DP. It is the small metal table that I noticed the flex. Hope the PVC helps!

Cheers,
Draken

Daniel

Gotta say that Havana hits me right where it counts. that is one really great looking pen by my taste. I'm a kingwood fan as well. nice save.

BigRob777

Jim,
You won't have the same problem with the red palm I sent today. It is at least 7/8" square. The kingwood is a bit over 3/4".

Nice work. I like the sapwood. I am saving some sapwood shorties for the same type of idea.
Rob

PenWorks

Very nice looking pens Jim, glad to see your not all talk [:D] Palm woods are some of my favorite, the Havana turned out wonderful.

BryanJon

The black palm pen looks great. I have worked with BP a bit and you do need to take light cuts, have to be very careful. Well worth it though.

JimGo

Richard, I got this from WoodTurningz; Ryan was nice enough to go through his stock to find approximately 50/50 mixes for me. I have some African Blackwood too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom