Robinia Burr & Spalted Hawthorn Sierras

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from philb

philb

Hi,

My first go at Robinia Burr but wont be my last! This stuff looks awesome once the finish is polished up. Pretty hard on the tools, but sanded relatively easy. I think it might be called Locust(Black?) of some sort of in the US? Latin: Robinia psuedoacacia.

Finish is CA, popped with BLO. Pating is Balck-Ti & Platinum. Great kits these give the Sierra range a bit more class!

Second one is Spalted Hawthorn, also my first go at this wood! Dont know whether this wood is available outside of the UK? But is pretty rare over here as its more of a bush than a tree so doesn't really produced viable sized timber! Anyway found a chunk at a very small woodyard and even better it was spalted! Turned out well, as is dark than the usual spalted beech!

Finish is CA and popped with BO again!

Comments appreciated!

PHIL

1_RobiniaBurr-Plat.jpg

1_SpaltedHawthron_-_Ch2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Both are beautiful woods and you did a great job with the fit and finish. Looks good on those kits as well. Thanks for showing.

broitblat

Both are great looking woods and you've turned them into stunning pens. The first does look like Black Locust to my limited experience.

-Barry

Fred

Really nice turnins. I like them both, but the Hawthorn is my first choice. I do hope that you got all that was available as you rummaged about in the lumberyard!

philb

Yeh I bought the only chuck they had! Don't think its big enough for anything but Sierras/Beauties though, so maybe a few more popping up soon!

Thanks for the comments guys!

PHIL

philb

Think im going to have to do a few more of these hawthorns pens. I cut some more today, and it looks more spalted than this one! ill posted up the results of it when I have a couple turned, as they have a nicer brown tone when compared to the usual spalted varieties like beech.

PHIL

Top Bottom