Regency F.P.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Glenn McCullough

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was the most challenging pen for me to date. It was done in blue spalted red oak. Surprisingly, the finnials were the easiest task. The tube inserts and the bushings were the most difficult(time consuming).

430105846_blue%20sp%20red%20oak%20regency%20fp%202.jpg

20054301196_blue%20sp%20red%20oak%20regency%20fp.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wayneis

You did a very nice job, thats a very interesting pen. I've only seen one other person make this pen and I know that it is nothing like the kit pens that we have here. One of these days I would like to give one of them a go.

Wayne

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by wayneis
<br />You did a very nice job, thats a very interesting pen. I've only seen one other person make this pen and I know that it is nothing like the kit pens that we have here. One of these days I would like to give one of them a go.

Wayne

Wayne,

Rich Kleinhenz over at Yahoo has made some and I did also two so far, one you can see here, made from Amboyna Burl. I made another one from BOW and have one more kit left. It is a very nice pen kit, but not for the starter in pen turning. I made bushings and fillers (to adjust for the different tube diameters to a 7 mm mandrel) from Corian scraps that I had laying around. Sold the pen the first time I showed it at a craftshow last year. Rich had an article in the woodturning magazine some time ago and made also several variations with the finials that looked really good.

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
2005221105313_IMG_0105%20resized.jpg
<br />

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
The kit is from Craft Supplies UK (not USA) and I have gotten them from http://www.woodchuckers.com/pens.htm in Canada. It's a more complex pen kit than any I've seen from our US-based suppliers.

Rifleman1776

I am very impressed with the style and your workmanshp. That is truly unique and elegant. However, if we can handle some candor here [:p], your wood is not for my taste. It just doesn't do it for me. I believe one of the burls or even plain walnut would really make that pen style pop.

Thanks to all who replied. I worked all day today and couldnt reply to the questions. Thanks for the help on the questions, guys! and Rudy, your pen looks awsome as well. I did get the kit from Woodchuckers and the article of Rich's was invaluable. I even e-mailed him with a couple questions that he helped me with, what a guy! I am glad I made it but I probably wont do it again. On the spalted wood, it was a bit more spalted inside than I expected but you know once you've gone so far its too late to turn back. This pen easily takes more than one blank and the better part of the second if you have to do a retake on one of the sections or the finnials. Luckily I only had to do one extra finnial.
Glenn

its_virgil

Glenn,
Nice work on the pen. I have two of these in various stages of completion...one has the wooden piece just above the nib too large for the cap to go on. I made the mistake of gluing the parts together. But, I found the press in parts to be a very loose fit and needed gluing. I found this kit very difficult...no bushing..I did order some of the brass things to machine down to proper size for the the ends0f each piece....three parts to turn for this one. I have two more of these kits and will not attempt them until a friend makes me some bushings from steele. I don't do good bushing-less. I love the pen and you did it justice, but the wood choice would not have been mine...but, hey, the pen is not mine. I hope to have the last two kits made soon and then I'll find new tubes and redo the other two. I also purchased 4 of the Ambassador kits but will make bushings befroe attempting these. I suppose the corian bushings worked ok for you. Keep up the good work.
do a good turn daily!
Don

Great looking pen, way beyond my ability at this time. I really like the wood, intersting BLUE spalted RED oak.
BTW Rudy, yours is great also.
You all are great craftsmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom