Question for Texans

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

esheffield

Saw something that made me very curious and wondered if any of you Texans can explain it. I was looking at a Tractor Supply Company flyer last night and there's an ATV on sale. Under the ad was some fine print saying that ATVs could not be sold in Texas on Sunday. What? [?] I can get not selling alcohol on Sunday perhaps, or banning ATVs outright (as some states apparently do), but no ATVs on Sunday?

Thanks for (hopefully) putting my curiousity to rest on this! :D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

txbob

In Texas any given store or dealership can sell motor vehicles on either Saturday or Sunday, but not both. Tractor Supply apparently has elected to sell ATVs on Saturday and not on Sunday.
Take care,
Bob S.

Tangboy5000

I got this from the First Amendment Center
According to the National Conference of State Legislatures, Rhode Island is one of nine states banning Sunday car sales. Texas prohibits selling motor vehicles on a consecutive Saturday and Sunday, meaning dealers must take off one weekend day.

I guess ATVs fall under motor vehicle sales.

alamocdc

Yep, and in some counties you still can't buy alcohol on Sundays. Even where it IS legal, sales end at midnight Saturday and cannot begin until noon on Sunday.

Ron Mc

Doesn't make much sense here in Texas sometimes. About 15 years ago we used top be able to stop by the store and buy a single "cold one" for the ride home in traffic. As long as you didn't get off work before noon on Sunday!

alamocdc

Originally posted by Ron Mc
<br />About 15 years ago we used top be able to stop by the store and buy a single "cold one" for the ride home in traffic. As long as you didn't get off work before noon on Sunday!
Ah, the good ol' days! [:p] JK

Jim Boyd

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />
Originally posted by Ron Mc
<br />About 15 years ago we used top be able to stop by the store and buy a single "cold one" for the ride home in traffic. As long as you didn't get off work before noon on Sunday!
Ah, the good ol' days! [:p] JK
Good ol' days??? You can still buy singles on ice. Just don't get pulled over[:p]

alamocdc

Back in my oil field days there was a store in Mentone that sold the coldest beer I've ever had! Boy was it good after a hard days work! [;)] Of course, my limit was always two for the drive back to Kermit.

jwoodwright

Reminds me of Lubbock and Reese AFB. The "Blue" Law was in effect on Sunday. Certain items wern't sold. Lubbock was dry, so had to drive to the County line...[:(]

Of Course there was plenty of Beer on-Base, had to have a receipt to transport off-Base... Open Container Law was really Enforced.

Woodbutcher68

We got a whole state where you can't buy alcohol or cars on Sunday! Bars can be open but only if they have a kitchen and serve food. Microwave sandwiches don't count.
Welcome to Indiana

Rifleman1776

There are some who claim religious zealots are more fanatical than ever before in history. Not so, the blue laws have been common in the south for many years. In Arkansas most of our counties are still dry, it is a county option. In 1965, before we lived in Arkansas, our car water pump went out while we were driving through the state. We had to limp a mile at a time to Memphis, TN to buy a new water pump. Still no booze on Sundays, few have problems with that. The Texas, no car thing on consecutive days is a puzzler. But watch any state legislature at work and you will run away screaming.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I remember the Sunday "Blue Laws" in effect in New York in the late 60s. Only "essential items" could be purchased. You could buy cigarettes, but not toilet paper! You could buy pre-sliced lunch meat, but no meat could be sliced on Sunday.

As a matter of fact, the Texas Blue Laws were finally removed in the late 80s while I was in seminary. Always good to have a day off, even machinery (I have heard) last longer & w/ less probs even shut down for a day each week. I know that I certainly need some time off.
When Blue Laws were removed, it was an unwritten understanding that those who would like to have the day off for religious services were allowed. Try that now & watch your job disappear for some other reason.

Rifleman1776

Pastor Bill is right. Business often drives such changes. In Arkansas, the home of Wal-Mart, the law used to prohibit Sunday retail sales. Wal-Mart simply stayed open and paid the fines. The Leg., in it's dimly lit wisdom finally allowed other retailers to open also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom