Question about hollowing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cseymour

Hello Bob,
I think I know the answer to this but wanted to be sure.
I received my combo set yesterday and am very happy with the magical skew ( turned 3 pens last night)
In reading through the sheet it mentioned not to use the magical skew for hollowing.
I only make smaller bowls ( less than 8” ) and was thinking the recommended tool would be the short scraper with the round cutter, would that be correct?

Thank you once again for a great product and service.

Cheers

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Beasley

A bowl gouge is preferred by experienced turners, with either a 40/40 grind or an irish type grind. A Hunter Osprey tool has also been recommended for its ability to rub the bevel while cutting to avoid tearout.

stolicky

It is generally not safe to face turn with any tools that have a small tang going into the handle. Examples include most spindle roughing gouges and skews. The tang can break with a bad catch. You can carefully use a skew on the outside of a form like a negative rake scraper, but not to hollow it out.

bmachin

Although most bowl turners use gouges of one sort or other, Robohippy uses scrapers almost exclusively. His YouTube channel is quite interesting.

Bill

cseymour

I may have used the wrong terminology.
All I want to do is make a few ring bowls- smallish bowls.
I am thinking the round cutter would be best suited to removing the inside of the bowl.

I am thinking it best to attach to a scraper (I have short scraper and hopefully soon, the long one as well)

Thank you

Chris

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:

Gary Beasley

You can certainly use a scraper to make a bowl, I find when Ive done that a round carbide scraper is the easiest to use with a square scraper doing well to clean up box corners and lids. Be prepared to do a lot of work with the “80 grit gouge” to clean up the torn end grain.

Magicbob

Sorry I miss spoke or miss typed, I would not recommend any of my (T. Shadow & Co) tools for hollowing. But with that said and your saying you only want to make small ring bowls and such, my standard scraper and diamond detail tool will both serve you well. The Magical Skew can be used to do basic face shear scraping, but as you depth increases I would not use it.

MRDucks2

I am doing my first “vessel” out of a chunk of Alumilite now. Done the faces and the outside with the Magic Skew. Picked up one of the Robert Sorby medium swan neck carbide hollowing tools for the inside. Just started that step tonight. Going slow as I am learning but seems to be going well.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom