Pushing the envelope

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

in more ways than one, actually. I got my order of Italian resins in from Scott today and just had to do something with one. Okay, so how is that pushing the envelope, you ask? First push, the first thing I thought of was a Black TN Jr. Emperor roller. Yes, Italain resins are quite busy, ornate, whatever, you choose the adjective. And as I recently commented, I have a tendency to feel that the more ornate high end hardware may be less emphasized by a fancy blank. But damn the torpedos, full speed ahead. Second push, (and this one is quite big) the instructions call for a 3/4" blank. I wanted to use Schaeffer Blue and it's only 5/8"... AND the Jr. Emperor is a 1/2" pen. Again, damn the torpedos, full speed ahead. And thanks to my PHD vise, it drilled straight as a string. Okay, I hear you... "But, Billy, why didn't you drill it on the lathe? Easy, when I ordered my drill chuck two years ago, I got stupid (trying to save a few bucks) and only went with a 3/8" chuck. So here it is, Black TN Jr. Emperor in Schaeffer Blue Italian resin.

20069822914_JemperorBTrb_shaefferblueIR.jpg

As always, thanks for your time and feel free to slam away. So, "What do I think about it?", you ask. I'm not sure I like it. It just seems to look too busy. Is it a beatiful pen? Yes, if I do say so myself. But that doesn't mean others will find it desireable. I shoulda went with a Jr. Statesman, I think.

Oh, and one more thing. For those that ordered this stuff, sharpen your tools and be ready. This is by far the most difficult synthetic I've turned. It is hard and brittle and turns nothing like the acrylic acetate, or Lucite I'm used to. I didn't include PR in there because it turns differently as well (at least for me). But I still like it, and I'm glad I ordered it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

Well, I for one don't like the idea.

I mean, you go and order this wild looking Italian stuff and mate it up with something ornate like a Jr. Emp, in black Ti nonetheless.

And make the rest of us look like ROOKIES![:D]

Now really, I actually love it! The sharp angles in the flecks of the blank and the carvings on the pen really do go together well, as do the black Ti and blue blank. Sweet job.

I wouldn't have gone Jr. Statesman. It seems to like more fluid-looking plastic blanks, like micaswirl or similar stuff. The statesman is just a curvy pen that shows off curvy plastics, the Emp looks good with resins like the one you just did.

angboy

I like it. It's kind of brazen looking- just sort of shouts out to be noticed, and it does get your attention. I can picture someone who's pretty flamboyant and polished using this pen. Or someone who's very colorful. That's my analysis- that'll be $22.50 please (good thing for your wallet, I type fast).

And BTW Billy, just how many pens do you make in an average month?[:0]

gerryr

Well, I would say you really flubbed up big time on two counts. First flub was ordering that Italian stuff without sending me some. [:(][;)] The second flub is that's the worst picture you've taken in months, Billy. I can't tell what it really looks like, so you better send me the finished product so I can inspect it closer and see what it really looks like. I'll even pay the postage.[:D]

Actually, I like it. That is some beautiful resin. Your reaction to this one is about the same as my reaction to the Curly Koa Jr. Emperor I made. I wasn't sure I liked it either after it was finished, but I sold it just a few days later.

elody21

Billy, I think it is quite stunning!!!! Beautiful match! The black ti goes great with the blue. It looks very rich. Great Job! Alice

baldysm

I love it. It's a nice contrast between the black TI and the blue.

You did a good job.

alamocdc

Thanks again, all! It got quite a bit of attention today. Especially when the heard my answer to, "How much?" [:0] BION, no one said, "Oh, that's just too expensive.", or "I could never pay that for a pen." I did get a few, "Oh, I can't afford anything like that." The best part is that I got one, "I'm gonna have to start saving up."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom