PSI PROBUFFING

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

7miles

Does anyone own this system? http://www.pennstateind.com/store/e-10292e.html If so, what do you think of it?
I need to get a buffing wheel set up, was looking at the 3 wheel set up you put on the lathe. It appears you need at least a 1/2 hp. to run it right and a #2 taper. I only have 1/3 hp. and a #1 taper. So my thoughts are if this is a good buy then I would have a machine for buffing. Also looks like I can get free shipping.
I would like to know what you guys think.

Thank you
Dale

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

You may have answered your own question. The 3-On Beall system does require the #2 MT to mount. Therefore that one is out. Also, your lather is definitely underpowered to use it as well. It could turn the Beall, but you would be working VERY slowly.

The unit you display appears OK. I do not have anything like it so my ideas are just from looking. I would really like to know how much room you have to move around the buffing disks. The work is not always done just out on the front of the disk. Sometimes the sides of the disk comes in handy to get into the smaller recesses of the turning. Now, if all you are going to buff is pen blanks, then you might be OK with it.

The fact that several different disks are used to work with different buffing compounds brings to mind just what is necessary to change the disks out. Is that task easy or time consuming?

These are my ideas on this subject. I would vote for getting setup to use a 3 On Beall system in the near future. It is definitely the cat's meow in buffing. A simple long shaft turned to a #1 MT with proper spacers and large washers on both sides of a disk, another spacer and washer setup to the next disk, another, and a final spacer and you to will have made a 3 On Beall. Just don't use the disks that are sewn on the sides. I don't find them to be "soft" enough for my uses. Oh, be sure the end of the long shaft properly mates to your live center too. Control any possible vibration with the speed control or belt it down till there is no vibration. [:)]

kirkfranks

I have this unit.
I also have the same lathe limitations you listed.

It does work. That is about all the praise I will give.
I think it is 1/5 hp and the wheels are way too small.
The variable speed is pretty much just low and high without much in between.
Changing the wheels out is not hard, but it is a pain and too easy to get them mixed up[B)] so now I have white diamond on my wax buff.

I also have used the 3 on system at Bubbasville east. That is a much better system.

If I were to do it over again here is what I would do (I may yet do it)[:)]
I would build my own standalone system for a 3 on system.
I would start with a motor (washing machine motors come free from the landfill)
Use a motor arbor available at the hardware store and some 1/2 threaded rod and threaded coupler to match. Then put on the buffing wheels and a bearing on the other end.
I think this would end up about the same cost and would be a better system if you are comfortable building shop made tools. I had costed most of the components at McMaster Carr and since the cost was about the same I got the probuff. I regret this decision since it was based on cost alone.

Federman

I have not used the beal system but have the psi. There may be some issues with workspace with the lathe mounted system. But as I said before I have never used it.
The psi works great but only problem is only two wheels at a time. Therefore, the need to change pads if doing tripoli, white diamond, then wax...

I should mention I only used it for pen sized wood, no bowls etc...
Hope this helps!

rcarman

I have the little buffer system from PSI. I got it from Woodturningz last year. I only use the two wheels. Sand with the MM then finish up with white diamond and the carnaba wheel. I it variable speed and has held up well during my use. It is fairly light and must be bolted down to keep from chasing it across the workbench. I am not unhappy with it.

broitblat

I have the PSI system and I am fairly happy with it. I do not change out the wheels, however, since I only use the tripoli and white diamond. Then I apply renaissance wax and buff it off with a soft cloth on the lathe.

-Barry

hughbie

i too have the PSI system. i made a wooden try with a front lip so when i put it on my work table, the front lip will keep it from walking backwards. the wheels are very easy to change out but like it was noted earlier, make SURE you don't cross contaminate the wheels. i used a sharpie and wrote on both sides of each wheel as to what it's used for. i can see it not being very useful if you want to buff anything larger than pens and small stuff.....but since that's what i got all this stuff for, it works great for me. IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom