PSI 4 jaw Lathe Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

rtparso

Well I broke down and bought a chuck. I had to get an adaptor for my Grizzly pen lathe. I set it up tonight and got it running. It had a LOT of runout at first but I took every thing apart and cleaned all the parts and used a dial indictor to check the parts as I went back together and found the problem (nut behind the well). Now it has about .003" runout which is about the accuicy of my dial set up. I chucked up a piece of scrap Koa and turned a dowel turned that and turned the other end and it was true for the lingth of the piece. I am happy. Next a closed end pen? some tops?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Ron, I love mine. You'll find it comes in handy for all sorts of things. [:D] I got about 3/4 done with a clsed end FP and decided I didn't like the look so I put it aside for the time being. I still have plenty of wood to work with when my muse tells me what to do with it.[:p]

Travlr7

Got mine too. I have a Talon, which is much better, but I used the PSI last weekend on several pieces and it was sufficient for what I was doing. The one thing I DON"T like is the two handle approach. You need three hands - one to hold the piece and two on the handles.

What is good for me is that with the two adapters I can use it with my Jet Mini and my traveling lathe, too. I'm going to use it at a three day show this weekend, making Tops. We'll see how it holds up.

Bruce[;)]

Rifleman1776

Ron, what do you mean by chuck 'run out' ? Does it not run true concentric? In my opinion, anything less than perfect concentricity is unacceptable. I sent four back to PSI before getting a good one. (3 jaw mini)

rtparso

what do you mean by chuck 'run out' ?
Around the outside edge of the chuck I had a lot of wobble (1/8�) but after I cleaned and tightened everything up I could no longer see any wobble. I measured the run out of the chuck after I was done and had about .003†run out but I do not have the right setup for real good indicator measurements so I figure that .003†is as good a reading as I can get. I am a woodworker (maybe) not a machinest (I am sure).
anything less than perfect concentricity is unacceptable
Nothing is perfect except God and that is a theology discussion not woodworking. All human measurements have error it is just a mater of how much. BTW I have come close to perfect a couple of time but perfect messes don’t count.[:D]

Kurt Aebi

Got mine and aside from the Tommy-Bars for adjusting (which many other manufacturers use as well) it is working Just-Fine. This is my second chuck, so it will enable me to keep my jumbo flat jaws on one for doing the bottom of bowls and not have to keep changing the jaws.

I have one of the new Baracuda2 sets on order as well.

Rifleman1776

Understand what you mean by the 'perfect' comments. What I mean, with the chuck is ANY observably or measurably non-concentricity.At high speed place a small tool on top, if you see it dance, that's too much out of round. On the other hand, oval turnings could be interesting. [;)][:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom