Pressure Pot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

munawar

Hello all. From most of the threads I have been reading looks like I'll need to get a pressure pot soon enough.

What is the most economical (= cheapest) way to get pressure pot?

Thanks
Manny
Champaigne test on beer budget!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

I have found them on Craigslist. You have to be patient. I purchased a once used Devilbiss with hoses and spray gun for $75. I can probably sell the gun and hoses for $50 if I decide to.

PTownSubbie

The cheapest is Craigslist and you can usually find a higher quality pot for a good price. The next cheapest is Harbor Freight. The HF pot gets a bad rap around here but many people use them. I personnaly have two that are in good working order and do the job for me. If you use them with caution, they will be fine for you provided you are a tinkerer....

With a 20% off coupon, you can get one for around $60 if I recall correctly. There are several library articles on modification but use your best judgement and ALWAYS BE SAFE!!

Fred

Canadian_Kid

I got my Binks pot on ebay for $30 plus shipping (another 30). It was covered in paint on the outside but clean inside. I have spent about 30 min on scraping the outside and it is pretty clean now (hard to get it all around the hing pieces). My Binks pot has a working PSI of 80 (looks to be very well built and is crazy heavy for its size).

Craftdiggity

I have an HF pot. Works just fine for casting. I only go up to 25 or 30 PSI, so not a whole lot of pressure. I wouldn't trust it much over that, just because of all the horror stories we've all read about.

Chris

Fat Boy

Just get it in your head that casting and cheap do not go together:biggrin::biggrin:. i like most bought the HF pot for $60.00, then spent about the same on brass to get it running. still much better than 250+ for one from alumilite. good luck to you and your check book:wink:

ldb2000

Or , you could just cast without one . If you're just going to be doing color casts with PR there is absolutly no need for one , if you're going to do clear casts in PR and you are careful not to create bubbles in the PR while you are mixing in the catalyst you don't need one either . You can cast Alumilite without pressure as well but it is more difficult to do .

munawar

I don't know how to reply to each post above to thank you individually, so I'd like to give my sincerest thanks to everybody. Your information is great as it gives me fundamental idea of what I should be looking for. I'll be sure to post when I get something. I'll spend a little time searching Craigslist first.

I won't be doing too much color casting; I am just using that to learn. I can get color casting cheap enough from stores or folks on this forum. I like to embed stuff or make personalized casting for individuals.

Thanks y'all.
Munawar

Jimbo1943

when using a pressure pot do you build up the pressure to say 50 lbs and then turn off compressor. Or do you need to keep building pressure back up to 50 lbs?

Bats

when using a pressure pot do you build up the pressure to say 50 lbs and then turn off compressor. Or do you need to keep building pressure back up to 50 lbs?
Assuming the seals on your pressure pot (and on the fittings) are good, you run it up to x lbs, close the valves, and it stays there. If you have to keep building pressure back up, it means you've got a leak somewhere.

It's also probably worth mentioning that this is a thread from 2011, and it's been years since many (most?) of the participants have checked in on the forums.

Jimbo1943

Thanks BATS appreciated. How long do I leave it on pressure? Overnight? Will my resin stay in the mold? i have notice many posts are old. But thanks

Bats

Thanks BATS appreciated. How long do I leave it on pressure? Overnight?
That'll depend entirely on what sort of resin you're casting. Alumilite Clear, for instance, has a 45-90 minute demold time. Their Clear Slow is 2-4hrs. Epoxies can range from minutes to hours.

Will my resin stay in the mold?
Not sure quite what you're asking here. Will your mold overflow? Probably not - you're compressing the resin, not expanding it. Will it spill? Maybe, if you put the mold in sideways. Do you wait to take it out of the mold until you take it out of the pressure pot? Yeah, you'd have trouble doing otherwise. Will you have trouble getting the resin out? Maybe, depending on your mold, resin, and if you use a good mold release.

Top Bottom