pourous antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

corgilane535

Hey all,
I was wondering what some of you do when you have pourous antler? The pourous area in the center is similar to marrow. do you epoxy or CA while turning? Has anyone tried polycryl? it says it works on punky wood, so I wonder if it will work on the pousous antler?

your thoughts.

thanks John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

altaciii

Copious amounts of thin ca will take care of the problem. However, if you use to much accelerator the heat will build up and turn some areas of the antler with a funky color. I have lots of clients that like the colored areas on an antler pen but most of them, as well as I, prefer the ivory antler best. It polishes better and gives the pen a nice clean look.

Daniel

I do my best to size the antler to avoid the marrow. this is a dance between antler diameter. drilling space and having everything still be large enough to make a pen. if I do still end up int he marrow I use CA to fill it in. I have had some really bad porous antler in the past and CA still did a good job. be patient though and avoid the Accelerator. I find that when CA is really thick and heavy Accelerator is not a good idea. to much heat is generated at one time. Axis antler is much easier to work with and acheive better results.

workinforwood

White tail antler is porous, but not not that bad unless it sits for several years unused and then it can start to become like a wafer cracker. I have found that when it reaches this state, you can drill a 7mm or smaller hole down through it and then cast it in alumilite with some pretty good penetration. You can go clear or you can even add some color which looks pretty cool too.

Top Bottom