Post deleted

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have used styrofoam sheets like electronic equipment, furniture or what have you comes wrapped in. Works quite well and a close cousin to packing peanuts.

its_virgil

I use BOUNTY plain paper towels. I've tried everything and the bounty towels work best for me. VIVA did not work at all. Lots of you use them but I had troubles with 'em. I used everything that has been suggested and "bounty rocks."
Do a good turn daily!
don

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I have bounced around, used Bounty, plastic bags, and finally settled on cut up pieces of old Tee shirts. I burnish relatively firmly with them as the CA sets, and get a really nice surface that usually only requires a touch with micro mesh and then some Ren Wax.
William

rjuhl

I have been using the Scott Blue Shop Paper Towels with good results for my BLO/CA finish. They are available at Home Depot in the paint department and elsewhere. They seem to be more sturdy than the regular paper towels. I fold them so that there are three layers -- final size about 1" x 2" -- and use a finger cot or latex glove finger underneath to keep from gluing my finger to the towel. I find adding a drop of BLO to the finger cot prevents gluing the towel to the finger cot thus lengthening its useful life.

Randy from Pittsburgh

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Eaglesc, I apply BLO to the spinning wood with the CCC (clean cotton cloth) A minute later, I burnish off the excess BLO with the same piece of cloth, then refold it (several layers thick) so there is only a little BLO on the exposed surface. I then set the lathe as slow as possible (love the variable speed) and drizzle thick CA on the wood while holding the cloth against the wood. Then I rub the CCC rapidly back and forth along the blank while increasing the speed of the lathe. If it starts to drag at all, I back off and put a tiny touch of BLO on the cloth and go back to rubbin back and forth on the blank. If the CA gods are with me, I get a finish after two coats of thick CA that is basically finished.

I get too long-winded sometimes, feel free to email me privately if you want the really long version (LOL).

William

jbjwood2000

I've been using bounty towels. soak it in mineral oil, coat pen & bushings. then use same towellet with thin CA. not sure how it will hold up yet, so far so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom