Polymer Clay Durability

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I am here to share my recent experience with polymer clay and confirm that it is not a fluke.

The first pen I made was black and copper Atlas in black enamel. I dropped it and chipped the enamel and decided to keep the pen. About two months ago it became my work pen. I keep it in a toolbox/workstation at my hanger bay exposed to the outdoor temperatures. It has been dropped, kicked, hammered, almost drilled, had parts piled on it, vacuumed, lost, found, and a very wide assortment of other things. I am not holding back and actually I am putting it in situations I normally would not. The pen was basically new when I started this job and now it show signs of abuse but the clay has held up as well as the enamel. Scratches and dents, Yes. Cracks and chips, No. The only big issue was a crack something that I did due to lack of polymer clay experience.

This pen has held up way beyond my expectations. I was leery at first but I think that polymer clay has made my list of durable materials (cocobolo is the only wood on the list). With a little caution I think it will make a reasonable work pen if a person cared about it and for it.

If anybody else has anything else to add positive or negative please let us hear it. I spent five years in The Marines, it takes quite a bit to hurt my feelings.

KnB Polymers

I'm glad you shared that ... I haven't quite put any of mine through that much torture! LOL! I've soaked them in water for about 36 hours straight for a test and they looked the same coming out as going in.
I agree totally ... they are pretty durable.

Top Bottom