please add

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

ADD SPELLCHEACK !!!! it is a lot less embarassing and would incurage more peolpe to post if they did not have worry about looking foolish.[ dumb ][?]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

admin

Administrator
Want to check your spelling in a post?

Look for the
200412125629_icon_editor_spell.gif
icon on the format bar. That will show you a preview window with the misspelled words highlighted. No auto-correction (yet), but hopefully you'll find it useful. There are a couple bugs yet, but I'm working on those as time permits.

paleydp

Could you maybe add a current, local date/time stamp on the page. Sometimes I really get confused by whatever time it is we're using on the site (like now, it's appr 8:10p.m. [2010 for military types] on Tuesday, 7/20 here in So. Cal, and the posts are saying it's early on Wed, 7/21).
Thanks loads!

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Denise, That's a good idea, and I'll put it on my list of things to work on. The only problem is determining a users time zone. Not everyone fills in their location in their user profile. I'd probably have to add a field for the user to enter the number of hours offset they are from GMT (which is what we use on the forum) It's ironic that the server is actually IN California! [:)]

Doghouse

Please look into IESpell. It is available via www.iespell.com.

It is a very good spell check option that installs into Internet explorer.

That way it is available on all the boards you go to. Most of the time people do not use spell check even if it is available. My opinion, if you cannot ignore the spelling, ignore the post.

tipusnr

I'm beginning to think that some people misspell postings on purpose. Maybe it's a sad side effect of the IM pseudophonetic. Maybe it's a stream of conciousness thing (I get caught on that one a lot). Maybe its a lack of understanding of the sender's role in communication. I don't know.

I will easily read through a couple of typos in a posting as I find those in MY postings. Questionable spelling or grammar is even worth reading twice to get the message. After that it becomes a matter of how badly I want to understand the writer of the posting. That depends on the sincerity of the posting and my mood that day and is a VERY individual choice!

For those of you who like analogies: Often in this forum we have talked about setting the value of your pens by the finish you apply, the way in which you display it, and the price you set on it. Your postings should be viewed the same way. Their value to others is directly proportionate to the care and effort you put into them.

Now will someone help me off my soapbox!?!

pecartus

Well said Tip, now you can get off the soapbox [:D]. I try to lead by example and yet when I get passionate about a subject matter, I tend to mis-pronounce my keyboard talk. [:l]

melchioe

I am so glade the spiel cheek is installed. It teals me I speil gut - ale is spieled rite in this massage.

But seriously, I feel spelling is important, and am definitely grateful for the new feature. I can spell well, but it's nice to have the technology backing us up... (and my fingers don't always do exactly what I tell them. Wait, it's the keyboard, really it is!)

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
The activity seems to be flying on the boards lately. I guess we've all had our vacations. A quick thought on a minor reorg of the boards...Could you add major categories such that we can better sort and follow some topics. My thoughts are that we could use major topics of "Finishes" "Exotic Wood Experiences" and "Kit Experiences". Right now this info is scattered across the boards like dust in the wind (can you old timers tell who's on my CD player right now?). Anyway, thanks to all of you moderators for a job EXTREMELY well done.

G

I use this for the internet
It works on the composition page
http://www.iespell.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom