Pith 2009 is underway!!!! Lets have some fun!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE THREAD TO AVOID ANY CONFUSION, THANKS!

OK, I have read almost all of last years posts regarding the PITH exchange, that coupled with comments in the thread I started and PM's received. The vote was pretty much one sided (Thanks to all who voted one way or the other) so I have decided to go with it but with a pretty big window of time to get it done in. I have decided on this:
We are going to keep it in true PITH spirit in that I will draw the names from a hat, only difference is I am going to draw them in pairs and those pairs will exchange with each other. This will give the exchange partners a chance to contact each other and perhaps even agree on a pen style to exchange or simply agree to surprise each other with no hints of what is on the way. Here is the plan. I'm going to break it into TWO groups. I'm leaving the selection of which group you feel you need to be in UP TO EACH OF YOU. For lack of a better way to say it I'm going with:
Group 1- Just getting good at it
Group 2- pretty good at it
I am going to try it this way as some, both recently and previously, have said they felt "shorted" or felt they "shorted" someone as the skill level between them was too great. Others took it as intended and were quite satisfied. I'm going to try and avoid the ill feelings. We shall see how it goes.
If you cannot or do not want to follow through with this, please DO NOT sign up. Cav (wdcav1952) has agreed to sit this one out and will be the "go to" guy if there are any problems with someone needing to "withdraw" for whatever reason (I know, stuff happens) If for whatever reason you cannot complete the exchange, all I ask is COMMUNICATE it to your exchange partner and to CAV so we can get it re-paired so no one gets left out. Post IN THIS THREAD if you want to participate AND as to which group you would like to be in. Choose your group according to where you feel you fit (remember, we are our own worst critics). If you fall in to group 3, Ability almost beyond belief, and want to be in group 1, fine by me. That is why I am not selecting for you. To some a simple slimline from a friendly beginner far outweighs a custom kitless pen from a not so friendly "expert". I would rather keep this friendly and fun as opposed to having to referee the battles so please try and do just that. Now that I have put the "fun killing" stuff out, lets move on with the fun.
This is open to any member of the IAP.A concern about shipping internationally has been brought up. This is an International site, and all are encouraged to participate. I feel anyone with the funds to be actively pursuing this line of hobby, should have the few dollars to ship an item anywhere in the world. You are not sending a 10 lb. box of blanks, just a few ounces of pen. If you are dead set on participating but absolutely cannot afford to ship a pen, contact Cav or myself via PM and we will try to make arrangements on a case by case basis. You can make any type of pen you'd like or that you feel comfortable making. Sign up will be from NOW, until Midnight (Mountain time, as this is where I live) on November 20th and you need to have your pen completed and shipped to arrive by X-mas (December 25th) It never hurts to have another present under the tree. This gives a bit over 3 weeks for all to get signed up and started planning their pen. I will get the pairings drawn and posted No later than Midnight (MTN Time) on November 23rd. You will then have a full month to finish your pen, AND get it shipped to arrive in time. After the pairings are posted, it will be up to each of you to make contact with your partner and exchange info, ie. shipping address and such. If anyone is having trouble making contact, feel free to contact myself or Cav to help.
The only rule I want to enforce is the THEME. I have been given many ideas for a theme and I like them all. I can't seem to shake the one about the 2 x 4 pine theme. X-mas trees are pine… Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Ok enough of the teasing. I don't want everyone running to the lumber yard for a 2 x 4 so how about a different X-mas theme (Next time Don). Lets try this: each pen should contain at least one of the following X-mas colors: Red, green, silver, or gold. You can choose any or all, but the pen must contain at least one of them. I think that "theme" should be attainable by everyone. NOW, let the sign ups and FUN begin. Post here if you are participating AND which group you want to be in. Anyone not choosing will be defaulted to group 1 when I do the pairings. I think I covered everything if not I will cover it as it as needed. If there are questions, please PM me and I will clarify. Have fun and good turning!!

Landon Smith

Edit 10/30/09--- To keep it a bit more simple, I want to restrict this event to one entry per person(choose 1 group or the other). I respect those who would want to do more than one group, but, it would add a bit too much confusion for me anyway. This should get big, as I intended. I also know what I can and can't do. I want a smooth, fun, and pleasant event. Please honor the requests I've made and have fun with this. I think the entire IAP needs a little "fun boost" right now. I will deal with any "odd numbers of entries if need be at the end of sign ups. Thanks. :)

Edit 11/2/09--- I've had quite a few requests to do both groups, I appreciate the interest but at this time I would like to keep it as stated above. I'm sure for those who want to do another swap, your time will come. The 2010 "Birthday Bash" is right around the corner. :wink: Thanks to all for the sign ups so far, lets go out and help get the "newer" members involved if you get a chance to help "guide" them.

Last edited:

the_benz

I would like to participate. Group 1, if you need someone in Group 2 you can move me there.

Thanks for putting this on, it was fun last year.

Gregg

Last edited:

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Put me down for group 2? OR if you think I should be group 1 that's ok too.
I should probably be in group 4, but this is restricted to this planet, right?

ZanderPommo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanderPommo
count me in--group 1 please
are you saying Holly isn't allowed? perhaps white should also be in the list??

Use what you want just incorporate one of the colors into it. :wink:

okay, wasn't gonna use Holly anyways, i got sumthin else on mind.....

Mr Vic

I'm in...Group 2 will work. One small issue though....there's a fifty/fifty chance you'll end up with an odd number of PITHers...I'll be happy to accept 2 pens (greedy) oh and of course I'll return one to each one (that's two - boy I'm generous). Also willing to ship overseas (gotta return the favor for the Bash It On)...

lmcminn

Count me In!!

I've only been turning pens for a little over a year now. I would consider myself to be in group 1. I have tried several different styles and designs (i.e. celtic knot and segmenting), but I'm still just a little above a beginner.

I can handle any of the suggested colors, hopefully a combination of several of them.

LMcMinn

HSTurning

I'm in. Group 1 but I have time and may try something I would consider a group 2 for trade. I hope this winter starts of mild to keep the shop warmer longer. :)

Top Bottom