Pipe Material Jr Gent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Old Griz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Here is one I just finished for a customer...
Pearl Pipe Material on a Platinum Jr Gent...
This stuff is really translucent.. so I painted the tubes white before mounting the blank... learned the hard way on the first one I did..
200556121412_PearlJrGent2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

swm6500

Very nice looking pen Griz. Thinking about getting some of the pipe material also. BTW it looks like the Jr Gent and the Baron are the same pen, do they use the same drills and bushings?

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
The use the same drills, but different bushings.. the Baron has a straight bottom and the Jr Gent is tapered... From what I have read the new Jr Gent will be a little different with a slightly larger diameter and need new drill bits and bushings... bit if you have a set of drills to 1/2" in 1/64's you should be OK on the drills... but you will need new bushings...

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Really nice work, Tom. If you want to experiment some time, try painting the tubes silver or chrome. I think it makes the pearlescence more apparent on SOME materials. Makes them look pretty neat under halogen lighting. (Try on a cheap pen first, see if you like it)

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Ed this stuff is so translucent that the tubes show through completely... I had a some tubes that I painted silver and put them inside a piece, but the they looked horrible.. just too translucent... had to go with white...

JimGo

Tom,
Do you recommend white over black? And what kind of paint do you use? I was concerned about the glue not adhering properly once the paint was on the tubes.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Should have known you already tried! Works great with PSI's white.

As has been said before, your result is beautiful!! Customer should be thrilled.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I bought some paint pens at Michaels Art Supply... they are made for terracotta flower pots, they work real well on the brass tubes if you sand them and I have had no problems with epoxy sticking to them...
They come in all kinds of colors and I usually keep the following on hand; white, black, brown, dark brown, purple, red and blue. Like Ed mentioned sometimes using a different color on the tubes can really enhance an acrylic... I will sometimes use red under a purple acrylic.. or if I am looking for a deeper color black.... on the tortoise shell pipe material I use brown and streak it with black... that stuff is even more translucent than the pearl

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Probably give it a blue pearl luster... I have been considering doing one with the tubes painted purple with a Sharpie.. the sharpie painted tubes still have a bit of a metallic glisten instead of being opaque like the white paint is...

Chuck C

Beautiful, beautiful pen. Pardon my inexperience (I haven't gotten out of wood pens yet) but what is pipe material and what does it look like in the raw. And where do I get some.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Chuck, go to this thread.. this is where most of us get it...
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6076

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom