Pine Cone Wall Street II click

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley

This one almost didn't make it. As big as this longleaf pine cone core was it barely survived having a 27/64th hole drilled through it. I lost more than a quarter inch when the bit broke the wall at the narrow end as I drilled it. After that everything went smooth till I was roughing down close to size with the tip of the skew and a huge jagged chunk blew off. I found most of it and packed the crack with dust from the turning. I thought I was safe, but nooo, it blew out again, a smaller chunk but I only found half of what flew. More dust and glue and some very careful turning got me to the finishing stage. At that point I found I needed to filled several natural scallops with thick CA to make an even profile. By the time I was done you could almost believe I had done a good job on it. I found one spot I hid under the clip where the brass tube showed at the end of the barrel. I never saw that when I was doing all the dust packing. If you look carefully you can see the big crack going through the flame figure.

Attachments

• pinecone-wall-st-click-1.jpg
    pinecone-wall-st-click-1.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 258
  • pinecone-wall-st-click-2.jpg
    pinecone-wall-st-click-2.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 193
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

Still nice, though! I just had failure #6 or 7 on that damn cedar from your deck. ANGRY!!!! But I like the pine cone....

You gotta soak that Cedar like it was punky wood to get it to stay put. Cutting it crossgrain leaves it very fragile.

I got it to finish, made it through all of the CA and MM, and a huge chunk tore off when the bushing separated. It's cool. I'll try again at some point with stabilized stuff and some clean waxed bushings.

Gary Beasley

Have yet to get a pinecone to stay together, must need a little more sticktoitiveness that you used.

Phil

Usual problem with blowouts is the wood letting go of the tube. I soak the inside of the drilled hole with thin CA and cure it good. if the tube will not slide in dress it out by running the drill in and out a few times till you get a good sliding fit. Sand the tube, glue it up and if it looks questionable run some thin CA into the gaps. Check it again after you sand the ends down to the tube. Use light cuts, go easy cause the cone is lumpy and tough.

Top Bottom