Piano Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rherrell

Status
Not open for further replies.

rherrell

My pen swap partner Vern gave me some 100 year old piano keys with real ivory. When I opened the package I immediately thought of my childhood friend of over 40 years, Chris North. He plays keyboards in a group called "Ambrosia". Some of you old time rockers may have heard of them.Anyway I only had enough to make a single barrel pen and I chose a Cabara because it used almost 100% of what I had. I also made a Grand Piano pen from Ken Kallanshaan. Here's a photo of the keys Vern sent me and what I came up with. Hope you like it 'cause it sure was nerve racking working with 100 year old keys. I was in constant fear of making that one mistake that would end it all!
Thanks for looking.

2007102094920_IMG_4713_edited-1.jpg

2007102094946_edit2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

txbatons

I agree. Nice work on the pens. I'd suggest you research the use of using reclaimed ivory. You might search for the various threads posted recently about it.

rherrell

Brian, is there a problem with using ivory? I plan on giving it as a gift and not selling it if that makes a difference. I'll do some research but if it was legal when it was made shouldn't it be legal now? Grandfathered in so to speak? I'll look into it.

Verne

Seems to me that someone should have looked up the information before suggesting that there was some legal issues with the ivory. From what I have found, using "reclaimed" piano key ivory has no legal ramnifications.
Enjoy Rick, and if you want some more just let me know.
Vern

txbatons

Rick (and Verne)...I didn't do any research, but there was a recent thread on just this topic. There are folks here that can be very helpful. If the link doesn't work, go to the top of the page and search for "using ivory."

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28101&SearchTerms=using,ivory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom