Pen State

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pen Joe

have many of you received kits lately that have been short of items in the pack, such as not having a mechanism and other kits with a few items missing, I have placed the last two good size orders only to see this show up more, I am sure that they will take care of it will be contacting them today, PenJoe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buckmark13

Funny, I just got my first order from them and was very frustrated by missing items as well.

MRDucks2

Unfortunately, I ordered 3-4 times in my first year of turning and had so many issues, including consistently hacked credit cards, that I have stopped using Pen State for anything but ideas on what to order from other vendors.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

gtriever

Unfortunately, yes. I just got a Celtic pen starter kit that was missing the bushings. Luckily, I already have a set for the Gatsby Grande (which are the same).

Woodchipper

Hmmmm, not good advertising for them. One can expect a hiccup once in a while but having four people having the same problem isn't good.

I've always had pretty good luck with Pen State. The only problem I can think of is on one of their Classic pen kits the coupler was bent. Just got my order, yesterday, so I'll be in contact with them soon to try and get it replaced.

Mike8850

I got one of the chrome motorcycle pens and the nib was all scratched up.
When I placed my last order I mentioned the problem in the comments section of the order form. Two days after my order arrived I received a new nib. The few problems I've had over the years were handle very well but you have to call. Don't bother emailing.
Mike

Pen Joe

I was able to get home in time to get on the page and used the chat section explained to the Lady what was missing she quickly apologized the missing items would be put in the mail, placing an order then told her if policy allows to put in my shipment, I just want to get done they are promised, so thanks, Pen-State, Joe

edicehouse

I have been lucky with dealing with all venders. There was even a guy that stiffed several people on burls a few years ago, but I managed to get mine and they were beautiful. The one time I can remember something was missing from an order the vender sent one to me no problem.

I have had a missing transmission or spring, but I try to get a few extra from time to time, plus one I royally jack up I put the parts to the side. Or if I have to replace something, I save the old parts.

I had 4 or 5 kits one day from Woodcraft and all of them were missing springs, I went in and explained it to them, they gave me a half dozen or so they had in the back.

StanBrown

I have only placed a couple of orders with them so far. The only issue I have is with the Post Office. I wish they would quit using UPS/SurePost. This is where UPS handles the shipment initially, then they turn it over to the Post Office for delivery. I understand the economics of it but the Post Office, as we all know, is somewhat less than reliable and accurate.

I ordered a kit that was scheduled for delivery Wednesday. The Post Office flubbed it so it was rescheduled for yesterday. Got an email yesterday telling me it had been delivered but it was nowhere in sight. Called the Post Office, they asked my delivery person about it, he said, "Oh well, must have put it in the wrong box." Very disappointed because one kit in the shipment is for a birthday present later this month and due to other circumstances it is now impossible for me to get it done on time.

Conclusion: if there is any way to avoid the Post Office, do it.

StanBrown

Further to this: I called Penn State and asked them to initiate an investigation. They said it would be quicker and easier to just replace the entire shipment. They said if both of them happen to show up, just keep both of them and I would only be charged once. Very decent of them.

I have only placed a couple of orders with them so far. The only issue I have is with the Post Office. I wish they would quit using UPS/SurePost. This is where UPS handles the shipment initially, then they turn it over to the Post Office for delivery. I understand the economics of it but the Post Office, as we all know, is somewhat less than reliable and accurate.

I ordered a kit that was scheduled for delivery Wednesday. The Post Office flubbed it so it was rescheduled for yesterday. Got an email yesterday telling me it had been delivered but it was nowhere in sight. Called the Post Office, they asked my delivery person about it, he said, "Oh well, must have put it in the wrong box." Very disappointed because one kit in the shipment is for a birthday present later this month and due to other circumstances it is now impossible for me to get it done on time.

Pen Joe

I had ordered a drill bit sharpener a little while back well I waited a few weeks then I called them, said that UPS delivered certain and Time, my security showed no UPS man that day or any day earlier, they put another sharpener in the mail with a different carrier and I got it, I gave them compensation on pricing, that would be hard for a business to keep absorbing that kind of hit.

jttheclockman

I had ordered a drill bit sharpener a little while back well I waited a few weeks then I called them, said that UPS delivered certain and Time, my security showed no UPS man that day or any day earlier, they put another sharpener in the mail with a different carrier and I got it, I gave them compensation on pricing, that would be hard for a business to keep absorbing that kind of hit.

Joe that is not a small company. They have grown on the backs of us pen turners. They carry insurance for things like that. You are out money for something you did not receive so why should you be responsible. See if they remember that next time and yes there will be a next time with them for sure.

What do you think it cost to put those ever growing catalogs together and send them out almost every month. No small chump change for sure. They can absorb your sharpener loss.

Last edited:

Pen Zen

My experience has been just the opposite. I have had all kinds of issues with UPS, less so with the Post Office. I had a recent bad experience with UPS I posted about on this forum. All of the carriers screw up though and it can be quite frustrating when they do.

Rtibbs

I have only placed a couple of orders with them so far. The only issue I have is with the Post Office. I wish they would quit using UPS/SurePost. This is where UPS handles the shipment initially, then they turn it over to the Post Office for delivery. I understand the economics of it but the Post Office, as we all know, is somewhat less than reliable and accurate

SurePost = delay. When shipments get transferred to USPS I can count on 2-3 days delay. Unfortunately this is becoming commonplace.

WriteON

I swear by them not at them. Minimal issues and resolved immediately. I’m in forever. I really like their novelty themed kits. Sales and service have always been pretty good. And pretty good is good enough for me.

Tenspeed

I never had an issue with them until I started a business and started ordering from themn once a week. I won't bad-mouth them, mistakes happen. I will say it seems they have a good packer and a bad packer kind of like good cop/bad cop. Good packer lays things in the box nicely, blanks get bagged according to type, things are always together and order is always right. Bad packer? Not so much...We laugh about it...The thing that bothers me most about Penn State Industries is the always out of stock. If you need it you can just bet it is out of stock for the next month. Again, mistakes happen and you can't predict inventory 100%, I get that, but come on guys...

jttheclockman

I never had an issue with them until I started a business and started ordering from themn once a week. I won't bad-mouth them, mistakes happen. I will say it seems they have a good packer and a bad packer kind of like good cop/bad cop. Good packer lays things in the box nicely, blanks get bagged according to type, things are always together and order is always right. Bad packer? Not so much...We laugh about it...The thing that bothers me most about Penn State Industries is the always out of stock. If you need it you can just bet it is out of stock for the next month. Again, mistakes happen and you can't predict inventory 100%, I get that, but come on guys...
First off welcome to the site. Second is don't tell us, tell them. We can not help you. The phone can at least have your voice heard. They are not going away. They keep getting bigger. So they must be doing something right. The more people call them and make their complaints heard maybe just maybe someone will listen. Good luck.

WriteON

Hi and welcome aboard. Like JT said...tell them. No excuse for poor packaging. No need to do things 2x. As for out of stock....never fails when we need something asap. Plan ahead. You're in business...inventory is a must have. Good luck with your business. Much success to you.

penicillin

Unfortunately, I ordered 3-4 times in my first year of turning and had so many issues, including consistently hacked credit cards, that I have stopped using Pen State [sic] for anything but ideas on what to order from other vendors.
Yes, I know that this is an old post, but here is some helpful information that everyone can use:

Bank of America is the only remaining credit card company that still supports one-time use credit card numbers. They call it "ShopSafe". I use them on all phone and internet orders. Even if the credit card gets hacked, it has already been used by the merchant, so the hacker won't be able to do much with it. The transactions show up normally on your credit card statement.

You go online and create a one-time credit card number. You set the upper limit. You set the expiration date, too.

You can also use ShopSafe to create credit card numbers that can be used for up to 12 monthly recurring payments. Use them for gym memberships, video services, etc. Because you set the expiration date, they can't "automatically" renew you - you must give them a new credit card when the renewal comes up. It gives you negotiating power, like "I will renew if you give me, a loyal customer, that same incentive that you offer to new customers." With automatic renewals, you lose that power. They suck the money from your account each year, before you can blink.

Caution: ShopSafe requires your browser to support Adobe Flash. Google Chrome supports Flash built-in. You give Chrome permission each time you want Flash to run. I like that better than installing Flash on my entire computer, especially considering Flash's history of security issues. The problem with Flash is that Adobe has announced that Flash will be discontinued in 2020, and I worry that BofA won't update ShopSafe to a non-Flash version in the future.

Apply for a BofA credit card if you are interested.

Disclaimer: I have no relationship with BofA, other than as a customer. Except for the ShopSafe feature, they seem no different from other credit card companies.

Last edited:

penicillin

Responding to the thread:

I have made about 50 pens. Many of the kits were Penn State (the rest probably Rizheng), purchased at the local Rockler store. I have placed a few orders directly with Penn State.

All kits had all parts. Customer service and technical support from both Rockler and Penn State have been excellent. They helped me with a part that I accidentally lost, problems with fit, scratchy pen mechanisms, stuff like that.

Top Bottom