Pen Hardware Durability Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KGP

The Wall St. II (Woodcraft) and Sierra (Rockler and others) pen styles offer a "satin" finish option which is located on a large area of the nib. I am wondering if anyone has any information about how durable (or not) this finish is. This plating is located in the area where the user would be gripping the pen, so I wonder if wear is an issue over time due to friction with the user's fingers. Any feedback about this would be greatly appreciated, I'm new to pen-making and don't know if this is a commonly-known issue or not. From what I understand so far, a satin plating is far from the most-durable plating available. Should selling pens with this finish be avoided?

toddlajoie

Not sure about the long term durability of the satin finish, but I know from experience of carrying a chrome and satin one together in my pocket for a while scratched the shiny chrome, but the satin still looked perfect, so short term, the satin wins over the chrome

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
The Wall St. II (Woodcraft) and Sierra (Rockler and others) pen styles offer a "satin" finish option which is located on a large area of the nib. I am wondering if anyone has any information about how durable (or not) this finish is. This plating is located in the area where the user would be gripping the pen, so I wonder if wear is an issue over time due to friction with the user's fingers. Any feedback about this would be greatly appreciated, I'm new to pen-making and don't know if this is a commonly-known issue or not. From what I understand so far, a satin plating is far from the most-durable plating available. Should selling pens with this finish be avoided?

I don't think the satin finish shows wear very much. So I doubt you'll have a problem. I personally don't think selling pens with any finish should be avoided. To be completely frank, I have never noticed wear on any pen I've ever owned.

Top Bottom