Pen Blank Sizing Jig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

snowb46

Here is the PSI Pen Blank and Sizing Jig that runs $30. I was interested in this, but I am cheap.

So in about 15-20 minutes, and some scrap pieces of wood laying around the shop, I created my own version. Works pretty good if I do say so myself.

Here is my own simple version.
Just used some scrap pieces of wood laying around the shop
Just Slide open for tube
Any size tube fits
Insert tube and close
ready for your blank
NOTE: my slide is slightly short from the edge, will make the blank slightly longer than tube
WALA! Perfect (just a hair longer) for your tube every time. No measuring or guessing once made.

Last edited by a moderator:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leestoresund

That works fine for wood.
When are you going to have the mod for acrylics? The blank needs to be about 1/4" longer than the tube.

hasha2000

I like that. Still trying to figure it out how works.

It's so simple, picture one and two shows the main part of the jig. then in picture three all you add is two pieces to hold the blank. Here's a quick drawing I just did... I know it's a rude drawing!

166404_1754595386925_1300143158_1924313_3850385_n.jpg

"""That works fine for wood.
When are you going to have the mod for acrylics? The blank needs to be about 1/4" longer than the tube."""

just make red piece shorter on the end to make blank longer than tube...

Last edited:

snowb46

I like that. Still trying to figure it out how works.

It's so simple, picture one and two shows the main part of the jig. then in picture three all you add is two pieces to hold the blank. Here's a quick drawing I just did... I know it's a rude drawing!

166404_1754595386925_1300143158_1924313_3850385_n.jpg

"""That works fine for wood.
When are you going to have the mod for acrylics? The blank needs to be about 1/4" longer than the tube."""

just make red piece shorter on the end to make blank longer than tube...

YES! Great Drawing. This is exactly how it's put together. The two BLACK pieces on the drawing are the same dimensions (length not important), 1 part connected to the base and the other to the slide. The RED piece equals the length of both BLACK pieces together. All I did was attach the stopper to the base, put my slide together so that it overhung the base and ran the saw for exact fit. Then cut a little more so the blank become that much longer than the tube.

For those who are concerned about the acrylics, make a second slide. Then just cut it 1/4" shorter to create a blank 1/4" longer than your tube.

Thanks HASHA, this will help many out. I appreciate the effort.

snowb46

You beat me to it. I was trying to build the same thing. I like your idea.. Is it alright to copy it?

ABSOLUTELY I MIND! Please send $250 for an approved set of plans...LOL:biggrin:

NO, just kidding. Feel free to make as many as you like. I'm just glad to help other out and save a few bucks. You can buy me a beer if we ever meet.:bananen_smilies046:

snowb46

Picture Re-Posted

OK, Sorry for the inconvenience of posting my photos where they ended up getting deleted. Here they are again. I was in a bit of a hurry when I made this, all out of some scrap wood. Maybe thats why my shop is always a mess, cant bring myself to throwing scrap out when you can always find a use for it. LOL.:biggrin:

The first two photo show how I mount it onto my chop saw. There is a stopper on the bottom, so it's place the same every time.

Photos 3-5: I have a sliding half dove tail. Serves two purposes. To keep things from moving around too much and to make sure the brass tube sits parallel to the slide. Photo 5 show where the brass tube goes.

Photo 6 & 7 shows where the blank goes.

And Photo 8 shows that the slide is a little short, to make the blank a bit proud (longer) than the brass tube. Gives trimming room.

JD99 has a nice upscaled Jig posted here recently (Jan 2012). A good friend ( Ankrom Exotics) told me about his jig. Here is the link to it:http://www.penturners.org/forum/f30/blank-sled-my-version-91441/. I'm thinking about making one myself. GREAT JOB JD!!!

Attachments

• DSCF0880.jpg
    DSCF0880.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 736
  • DSCF0881.jpg
    DSCF0881.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 536
  • DSCF0882.jpg
    DSCF0882.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 370
  • DSCF0883.jpg
    DSCF0883.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 563
  • DSCF0884.jpg
    DSCF0884.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 343
  • DSCF0885.jpg
    DSCF0885.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 490
  • DSCF0886.jpg
    DSCF0886.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 415
  • DSCF0887.jpg
    DSCF0887.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 389

keithlong

I just take a piece of scrap wood and use a spring clamp to hold it in place and mark my 1st blank lenght, then slide the scrap piece as a stop and clamp it and cut away. You can cut 5 or 6 blanks at a time this way. Slide your first one up to the stop and then line the other ones with that one and cut them. That is a very nice idea for the sled. Good job, and thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom