Pen and Penturner Contest ** WINNERS POSTED***

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

byounghusband

Hey EVERYONE!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D

I sure hope you are all ready for the 4th IAP Birthday Bash!! There are a LOT of fun an prizes in store for you!!

I am running the Pen and Pen Tuners Contest to get things rolling:

***** Pen Pictures and PenTurners List Below!!*****

Sponsored by Ernie at Beartooth Woods

1st Prize - $50 Gift Certificate
2nd Prizes (5 of them) - $20 Gift Certificates
Last prize for the least accurate entry will be 1 dozen blanks from my stash......

This is a matching game between certain pens and their makers. I have chosen pictures of fifteen pens that have appeared in the “Show Off Your Pens!†forum over the past year.

The pictures will be marked with letters of the alphabet A through O. I will also list the screen-name of the penturners who turned those pens, not in the proper order of course, and they will be marked with numbers, “1†through “15â€.

To enter the contest you will need to send an E-Mail to 2008BashPenturner@penturners.org

Please put “Pen and Penturner†in the subject line (I will filter out all E-Mails that do not have that designation). In the body of the E-Mail, list who the entry is from (your screen-name), and your guess at matching the pens to the penturners. It may look as simple as this: A-1, B-2, C-3, etc.

This contest requires speed, accuracy, a good memory, and some luck. The top prize will go to the fourth person who enters the correct match of pens to penturners, which will be determined by the time-stamp on the E-Mail on my end. The five secondary prizes will be randomly awarded to those who enter the correct matches. Names will go into a hat and my daughter or my dog (in case she’s not home at the time) will draw.
The contest will begin at 12:00 noon Wednesday January 2, 2008 Central Time. I will stop accepting entries at 11:59 am Thursday January 3, 2008 Central Time.

I will announce the winner no later than 12:00 noon Saturday January 5, 2006 Central Time.

***THESE STEP MUST BE FOLLOWED EXACTLY AS THEY ARE DESCRIBED***
Step One: Enter the contest by sending an E-Mail to 2008BashPenturner@penturners.org

Step Two: Enter “Pen and Penturner†in the Subject line of your E-Mail

Step Three: Enter your IAP Screen Name at the top of the E-Mail

Step Four: Enter your best guess at matching the Pens to the Penturners. Formated 1-A, 2-B, 3-C, etc.

Please, only one entry per person. Please DO NOT post answers on in this Topic... I will answer questions if you are unclear on any of this contest.

Here are the pictures and the list of Penturners to match up:

200812161028_Pic%20A.jpg

Picture A Tunred by GaryMGg #2 in the list

200812161314_Pic%20B.jpg

Picture B Turned by Jim in Oakville #6 in the list

200812161333_Pic%20C.jpg

Picture C Turned by Gary Max #11 in the list

200812161426_Pic%20D.jpg

Picture D Turned by LanceD #3 in the list

200812161447_Pic%20E.jpg

Picture E Turned by OKLAHOMAN # 14 in the list

200812161514_Pic%20F.jpg

Picture F Turned by oobak #7 in the list

200812161537_Pic%20G.jpg

Picture G Turned by rhahnfl #4 in the list

200812161559_Pic%20H.jpg

Picture H Turned by Gketell #1 in the list

200812161631_Pic%20I.jpg

Picture I Turned by hanau #13 in the list

200812161748_Pic%20J.jpg

Picture J Turned by Marc Phillips # 11 in the list

20081216189_Pic%20K.jpg

Picture K Turned by JayDevin #5 in the list

200812161833_Pic%20L.jpg

Picture L Turned by johnnycnc #10 in the list

200812161855_Pic%20M.jpg

Picture M Turned by Mongefelipe # 8 in the list

200812161917_Pic%20N.jpg

Picture N Turned by Armyturner # 9 in the list

200812161944_Pic%20O.jpg

Picture O Turned by whiskey359 #12 in the list

Penturner List:
1. Gketell
2. GaryMGg
3. LanceD
4. rhahnfl
5. JayDevin
6. Jim in Oakville
7. oobak
8. Mongefelipe
9. Armyturner
10. johnnycnc
11. Marc Phillips
12. whiskey359
13. hanau
14. OKLAHOMAN
15. Gary Max

Good Luck!!!!!!!

rlharding

Any chance you could start later, say noon your time? With the 8:00am start plus the winner being the first to post, it means we have to get up before 6:0am to have a chance.

byounghusband

Ruth and Mark,
You bring up a VERY good point concerning time zones and Internet connections..... I hadn't thought about them.[B)][:0]

I will change the time the contest starts and ends to fix the first issue, but I don't know how to fix the connection issue. I hope this will help.:D:D

byounghusband

To mix things up just a bit and maybe help dial-up users, I will actually take the 4th person who submits the correct answers. It is IAP's 4th Birthday, right??
Thanks for your understanding and the tweaks(DocStram) What a great time will be had by all!!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Two pens use snakeskin and "ItsVirgil" is not one of the penmakers!!!?????!!

There is NO justice in the world!

You were robbed, Don!

I don't think I ever saw "F" Before. INTERESTING pen!!!

byounghusband

All,
Please wait until 12:00 noon CST to send your entries. You know who you are. Please resend if you want it counted....

Hey Ed, Don can feel like a Proud Papa, since he has helped SO MANY produce such nice SS pens..... I guess it all depends on your definition of Justice......[:p][}:)]:D

GaryMGg

Originally posted by ed4copies

Two pens use snakeskin and "ItsVirgil" is not one of the penmakers!!!?????!!

There is NO justice in the world!

You were robbed, Don!

I don't think I ever saw "F" Before. INTERESTING pen!!!
Hurmphh!
I can't believe I remembered F. [}:)];)

byounghusband

Well,
I got 11 entries into this contest. 8 with all 15 correct, 1 with 13 of 15 correct. And 2 who got all 15 wrong, apparently going for the blanks. The hardest part of this is deciding which of the two 0/15 was worse......[}:)] Stay tuned!!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Do Olympic Scoring.

Throw out all the perfect and all the zeros and give all the booty to the guy with 13 of 15 - call it "International scoring system"

Scott

Thank you Bob!

You did a great job picking these pens and running this contest! I'll be on pins-and-needles until I find out who the winners are!

Scott.

byounghusband

All Right.... May I have a Drum Roll Please???

The 1st Place Winner for the 2008 IAP Birthday Bash Pen and Penturners Contest, a $50 Gift Certificate from Ernie at Beartooth Woods, is:
****Gary Greenburg aka GaryMGg****

Now in no particular oder the Secondary Prize winners. They each get a $20 Gift Certificate from Ernie at Beartooth Woods. They were picked by my daughter Elizabeth AND</u> her dog Harley, so I didn't have to hear any whining from either of them....

They are:
Kenny Mayes aka ken69912001
Louis Bryant aka Louisbry
Stan Cook aka mrcook5470
Eric Anderson aka NavyDiver
Josh Anderson aka JDPens

As for the WORST[xx(] Guessers, we had two. Try as I might to figure out which was worse, using several different ideas, it turned out WAY to close, so both will get a package of blanks. One from my stash and one that was generously donated by IAP Member LEAP aka Philip Townsend. These two <s>Losers</s> ;), Uh I mean winners [:p]of the WORST Guess are:
Mitch (unknown last name) aka Malainse
James Gillespie aka Draken

Thanks go out in a BIG WAY to Ernie Mcfarland of Beartooth Woods for his generousity in donating these prizes, as well as Philip Townsend for the additional prize donation.

Thanks to all who entered into this contest!

This group (IAP) is an amazing assortment of people, who make it fun and interesting to be a pen turner. Thanks for the laughs, the words of encouragement and the help each of you have provided. You all ROCK!!!!!

Congratulations to Gary and the also-rans. And, thanks for running the contest, Bob. Would you mind favoring us with an answer key so we know which artist created which pen?

Thanks, Bob. It must seem like those of us sitting on the sidelines twiddling our thumbs can't ask enough of our volunteers!!!

Seriously, I do appreciate your efforts and the efforts of the many others who give willingly of themselves. This IAP is a remarkable bunch of people.

THarvey

Bob,

That is pretty low hiding behind the girl like that.[:0] Then, to make it worse, you post a picture. You know none of us are going to get upset with Elizabeth or Harley.:D

Thanks for running this contest.

GaryMGg

Wow! Holy Cow!
I won

[8D]

That's so cool. :D:D

Ernie, Thanks for your generous support of the IAP.

In part, this goes to show how much I really enjoy y'alls craftsmanship. I actually remembered who made many of the pens pictured -- except that first one ;).
Thanks again. WooHoo! [:p]

Malainse

Recount, recount :D

Congrats to all and "Draken" for joining me in thinking outside of the box. Can I still be in biggest losers club since I did not get any correct? Doc [?]

DocStram

Originally posted by Malainse

Recount, recount :D

Congrats to all and "Draken" for joining me in thinking outside of the box. Can I still be in biggest losers club since I did not get any correct? Doc [?]
Malainse and Draken:

The Loser's Club Board of Directors has just concluded their lengthy consultation regarding your membership. (We met for something like a minute and thirty seconds.) It is without regret that we are pleased to advise you that your membership has been permanently revoked for the reminder of the 2008 Birthday Bash. According to the official by-laws: "While members can lose at winning; one cannot be a winner at losing."

In a nutshell ... you're out. ;):D

byounghusband

Malainse and Draken,
Please pick a number between 1 and 50. The closest to the number I have sent to Scott,without going over will get the Blanks from me and the other will get them from LEAP. And if</u> you two tie again, I'm keeping them all!!![:p][}:)];)

Originally posted by DocStram
Malainse and Draken:

The Loser's Club Board of Directors has just concluded <s>their</s> its lengthy consultation regarding your membership.

Cav, I hope you don't mind my cleaning that one up. I know you look forward to spotting Doc's rare miscues. I normally let those things slide, being somewhat imperfect in that department myself. (Just because I hail from a Commonwealth and not a state doesn't mean the Almighty endowed me with perfect grammar.) But, it's been a slow day and I kinda needed something useful to do. Ed hasn't been much fun and I thought I might be able to stir up some trouble around here. Just say the word and I'll lay off Doc's next error, which probably won't happen until June,, anyway.

DocStram

Originally posted by Proud_Poppa_of_2

Malainse and Draken:

The Loser's Club Board of Directors has just concluded <s>their</s> its lengthy consultation regarding your membership.

Cav, I hope you don't mind my cleaning that one up. I know you look forward to spotting Doc's rare miscues. I normally let those things slide, being somewhat imperfect in that department myself. (Just because I hail from a Commonwealth and not a state doesn't mean the Almighty endowed me with perfect grammar.) But, it's been a slow day and I kinda needed something useful to do. Ed hasn't been much fun and I thought I might be able to stir up some trouble around here. Just say the word and I'll lay off Doc's next error, which probably won't happen until June,, anyway.

Michael .... Michael ... Michael ...... I am aghast!! [:0] Are you certain that I am in error????? I want to run this by an English Grammar Expert .... and, I don't mean some dentist! I've only been wrong once ... and then I later found out that I was right. ;);)

Doc -

That's fine by me. Just make sure the expert is employed by an accredited institution of higher education. [^]

Experience has taught me that it's often folly to point out the unintentional foibles of others lest I commit an offense equally egregious or, worse, be in error myself. But I was quite certain in this case because I first asked my dog Berkeley what she thought and she agreed with me emphatically. Her tail started thumping the floor while she licked my hand, so I knew I must be right.

ken69912001

I want to thank Scott for doing a great job on the birthday bash and to Ernie for helping to make this a great site to be part of. Now I have 2 gift certificates from Ernie to spend. I got one from the other forum during their Contests. Guess that makes me a big winner. :D

IPD_Mrs

Malainse and Draken:

Michael .... Michael ... Michael ...... I am aghast!! [:0] Are you certain that I am in error????? I want to run this by an English Grammar Expert .... and, I don't mean some dentist! I've only been wrong once ... and then I later found out that I was right. ;);)

Doc -

That's fine by me. Just make sure the expert is employed by an accredited institution of higher education. [^]

Well I may be no more qualified than the dog using this definition. HOWEVER, I did get an A+ in college writing. I did just pull out my Prentice Hall Handbook for Writers (yes it is still on/next to my desk at all times) and my Collegiate Dictionary. This would be my response if either of you care to consider it:

The "Board of Directors" as used in the above sentence is used as a collective and therefore becomes an "it" and the use of the pronoun its would be correct; the use of the pronoun their would be correct when describing something made by or done by "them." In order for that to have been the correct fit you would have only needed to add the names of said members.

At least that is the best interpretation I have for the grammatical rules as they apply in this specific case.

Now back to finding more things to pick on er praise my hubby for.[}:)]:D;)

Mrs.

byounghusband

Calling out to Draken!!!
I need you to pick a number between 1 and 50 so we can close this one out.... I have already received a guess from Malainse. Please hurry!!

Thanks!!

Draken

Just sent you email, with my guess of 23. Sorry for the delay, didn't much of a chance to check email/IAP this past weekend. Spent it all downstairs in the shop, cleaning and organizing. [xx(] It sure looks better now!

Thanks to everyone for their efforts and donations for the Birthday bash. This is the second year in a row I've received the "Worst Guesser" prize. Looks like I need to spend more time in the SOYP section. [B)]

byounghusband

Ok,
The guesses are in and Malainse guessed it RIGHT ON THE NOSE!!!!!! The number was 37. Scott can vouch for that. I will send my package of blanks to Mitch and James, if you could please send your address to me so I can arrange the package from LEAP.

Thanks for all the participation!!!!!

Later!

Malainse

Originally posted by byounghusband

Ok,
The guesses are in and Malainse guessed it RIGHT ON THE NOSE!!!!!! The number was 37. Scott can vouch for that.
Later!

I am out of the biggest losers club for sure now....[:eek:)];)

Draken

Email sent with my address. Thanks for the contest, and the chance to once again prove I'm the worst guesser! :D Sheesh, wasn't even close to guessing the right number. Thanks for the blanks Leap, I look forward to them!

LEAP

Draken don't thanks me until you get them;) I've got a whole pile of stuff that could use the worthless wood treatment[}:)]
Congrats by the way I'll try to get a box in the mail tomorrow.

Draken

Originally posted by LEAP

Draken don't thanks me until you get them;) I've got a whole pile of stuff that could use the worthless wood treatment[}:)]
Congrats by the way I'll try to get a box in the mail tomorrow.

Holy Freaking Cow Batman! LEAP, you went above and beyond in the blanks you sent me. I was expecting a flat rate envelope, not the large flat rate box!!! [:0] I wanted to give you a public "Thank You Sir!" for your overwhelming generosity! Here's a photo of the blanks I received:
20081114346_WorstGuess.jpg

I even get to try my hand at turning some antler, there are three pieces in the bag on the lower right of the photo. Again, thank you very much!

All of the blanks in the second row are unlabled, so if anyone knows what they are, ID help greatly appreciated. I'll try to post closer photos of them tomorrow.

Top Bottom