Peace Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dfurlano

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dfurlano

THUMBS! I thought the same thing turning it! HA.

YO - This is a 15 minute deal, real easy to do and I would be glad to illustrate.

dfurlano

Ok, this is how I did it.. any comments or suggestions are required!

Click on photos to enlarge!

I started with a round blank. I made this one with EPR and a bottle ice maker tray from walmart. You need to cut a slot dead center in the blank.

Next cut about .25 to .5 off the slotted end. you should have two half circles.

To cut the inserts I CA glued a scrap piece to my band saw and cut several inserts from the end of a colored blank.

Now you need to mark the 2 semi circles with where you want your piece sign (you know the Y parts). Make an angle mark of how you what them to look.

Now get a piece of scrap that is fairly straight and about 10" long. You are going to CA glue the semi circles to this board to make the Y cut. You only need to glue the very end of the semi circle (see where the blue x is thats where to glue). Do not put glue near the center of the semi circle or you will not get the plastic and wood apart! (this is important)

Ok, before you glue the semi circles to the board first glue them stacked together. Also make sure that the line you drew is on top as a reference. Don't use much glue to CA them together, I use accelerator to weaken the bond. After the two semi circles are glue together you need to glue the semi circles to the wood. Glue the pieces so the Y mark is just off the end of the wood.

Now set up your band saw to cut the angle. I find it is 45-50 degrees.

This is what it looks like after you make the cut. There is a nub on the piece not glued to the wood. You need to sand everything including the nub so its smooth.

Lay some paper down and sand. Don t take off to much. I use 400 to smooth 240 to shape. Also break the little pie shaped pieces off the wood. This is easy if you did not use too much CA and you did not glue down the very front where the two angles meet.

Now you have all the pieces that you need cut.

Now cut a center insert close to the dimensions that you need. The center insert sticks all the way through the diameter. Most important to make sure that you keep track of which sides go with which when gluing. When you glue the second semi circle make sure the intersection of the angles (the middle of the Y) line up, otherwise it will not look very good if they do not align. I use magnifiers at this point to ensure everything is straight.

Now you need to cut inserts for the pie shapes. I first rough in an angle on the insert to fit into the Y. After I rough it in I glue on the pie shape with some overhang to sand into a final smooth angle after the glue dries.

After you sand the pie so the angle is smooth check for fit. I find you have to hand fit them a little by sanding the angle a little off the front or rear.

Here are both pie pieces fit and ready for glue.

Left side glued.

Right side glued this is how I hold the pie pieces when they are drying. Heh, use gloves if you don't like CA on you fingers.

I then clamp the peace sign in a mini chuck and face it off and then its ready to go!

Once your set up this take about 15 minutes to complete. Hope this made sense.

-Peace-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom