Oval Lipped Sycamore Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from louisbry

louisbry

This is a 6 inch by 3 inch sycamore bowl I recently finished. Inside and outside are round, but the lip is oval shapped. I rough turned it about 5 months ago and after drying the distortion was so great that I started to make fire wood out of it. On closer examination I measured the wider and narrower widths and subtracted the results. There was a good 1/8 inch left so I decided to chuck her up and give it a try. I left the lip intact and undercut with hollowing tools and turned inside and outside round with a bowl gouge. It is finished with 6 coats of satin rub on poly. Thanks for looking and comments are welcome.

1_Sycamore_bowl_oval_lip_01.jpg

1_Sycamore_bowl_oval_lip.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GouletPens

Interesting....so when someone asks you how you made the lip oval, you can say "I didn't touch it!"

Interesting...I've never seen that. Improvisation is the wood turner's best skill!!

Fred

Heck, I have this happen every time I do not remove a green bowl from the chuck when I close down for the night. Come back in the morning and there it is ... a nice warped bowl. BTW, it just about 98% of the time is cracked wide open as well.

Great save, Louis. Never give up the ship until the waves are over your head!

Top Bottom