OK - you convinced me

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dougle40

The whole shop area is about 12x15' . My lathe and my router table serve double duty , my lathe sits on top of the table when in use and underneath it when I'm using the router . The large table on the left in the 2nd pic is my table saw with a piece of 3/4" MDF as a portable table top and the easel is used when I'm airbrushing . The drill press sits on the back of my work bench and is pulled forward for use . This is an older pic so the bandsaw is now where the bar stool is . The overhead dust collector is linked to the lights so that when they're turned on , the collector goes on at the same time .
The 3rd pic is of my version of a hand made lathe tool grinding jig that was shown here a while back .

2005413152343_Work%20Shop%20001%20small.jpg

200541315242_Work%20Shop%20002%20small.jpg

2005413152440_grinding%20jig%20004%20-1%20sm.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodwish

OK, I won't give you a hard time about the shop being clean. I taught wood shop many years and cleaning at the end of the period was a big part of the curriculum. It allowed everyone to have a job, someone had to be a leader, and everyone was responsible for a certain task. Some students had better grades for clean-up than they did for working! Anyway, having a clean shop to start and end the work period became "normal" to me. Before I ever leave the shop everyday I sweep off all the benches and tools, vacumn the floor, and put away everything that is not really being used at that moment. On the rare occasions when I don't get a chance to clean it bothers me enough that I will go clean the next day even if I do not have time to really do anything else. Actually it only takes a few minutes and it is nice to walk into a clean shop before I start. I guess some would consider me crazy but it's the way I work.

How about "never trust a man who accomplishes nothing in his shop!"

jdavis

I teach and place 50% of grade on clean up (daily grades). Still cann't keep it clean. I tell my principal if it was clean you would not think we do anything.

WoodChucker

Doug, nice shop and I'm glad to see someone else can keep a clean shop. My old shop teacher would single out the ones that hated doing it and teach them a new trade real fast. [:D]

BTW, I really like your home made grinding jig, pretty slick!

MDWine

Doug! I just got my first grinder, a two speed, WITH STAND! I'm making a table top for it this weekend..

How do you like your "shopmade" jig for sharpening? I can't think that it is any different than a wolverine, except for cost! [;)]

Any tips on making one? Looks pretty simple!

dougle40

How do you like your "shopmade" jig for sharpening? I can't think that it is any different than a wolverine, except for cost!

Michael ,
It works like a charm and you're right , not much different than a Wolverine jig except that this one didn't cost a dime , used odds and ends that were just lying around the shop . I only made 1 mistake - I marked the positions for the basic tools an the arm but forgot to take into effect that the tools are not the same length once they've been sharpened a couple of times but it still gives me a place to start .

MDWine

... forgot to take into effect that the tools are not the same length once they've been sharpened a couple of times...

I didn't think of that, but saw a "tip" in a WW mag just the other day about making "angle templates" from strips of metal (wood could do the job too). They ground the templage to the same angle as each of the tools, and use that to set the table at the grinder for each of the tools... nifty!

(I still didn't get my table top made, but hope to this week or weekend, since I can't go see Griz on Saturday..[V])

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom