Ok I'll set the date

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

After trying to set a date in March or April with numorous reasons why some couldn't attend I recived a few e-mails and with my spring show line up I'l have the 25th of April open for a meeting.
I'll hold it at my house again and suppy the burgers, I'd like all who will attend to PM me and let me know what could you bring in the way of food and drink. Also need to know how many blanks to ask Ken to supply, so if you can get back to me soon it will help. Remember wifes, girl friends,husbands, boy friends (just not both at once please:rolleyes:) and children always wecome at our place. Diane and I look forward to seeing all.
So far those that will attend are:

1- Paul in OKC
2-Angelofdeath with significant other

Last edited:

cowchaser

As of right now I am actually showing being off of work that day. HOWEVER with the layoffs, a new manager and probably a new direct report supervisor (I will find out this afternoon) that might change..lol. I will try and get it narrowed down a little better and let you know.

Did I tell you I am really starting to hate the company I work for.

OKLAHOMAN

Lets hope you make it! Now as far as hateing your company with todays economy don't hate too much..:wink:.
As of right now I am actually showing being off of work that day. HOWEVER with the layoffs, a new manager and probably a new direct report supervisor (I will find out this afternoon) that might change..lol. I will try and get it narrowed down a little better and let you know.

Did I tell you I am really starting to hate the company I work for.

OKLAHOMAN

Up date on members attending:

1-Paul in OKC
2-Angelofdeath
3-Tim Self

and a very sneaky way of bumping tread:wink:

OKLAHOMAN

One more update:

1- Paul in OKC_--------------------------------?
2-Angelofdeath with significant other-----------?
3-Tim Self-------------------------------------?
4-Countach------------------------------------Broccoli Casserole
5-Oklahoman & Diane---------------------------Hamburgers and buns

wood-of-1kind

Roy, if the OK border was a bit closer to Ontario (CA) then you would receive a neighbourly visit from me. Burgers? Burgers? No paisan, I'd be bringin the veal parmiggiana. :) Hope that you have a great turnout.

OKLAHOMAN

Peter, Veal parmigianna!!!!!!!!!!!!Oh my Oh my!!!!what I wouldn't give for a dish of fresh veal not the chopped crap that get here. I found a butcher who had some in OKC and about onces every few months will make the trip to get a few pounds...nothing like it in the world...last time he said he couldn't get anymore:mad:.
Roy, if the OK border was a bit closer to Ontario (CA) then you would receive a neighbourly visit from me. Burgers? Burgers? No paisan, I'd be bringin the veal parmiggiana. :) Hope that you have a great turnout.

Last edited:

OKLAHOMAN

Update! for food

1- Paul in OKC_--------------------------------?
3-Tim Self-------------------------------------Dessert and surprise sounds yummy
5-Oklahoman & Diane---------------------------Hamburgers,Hot dogs and Buns

OKLAHOMAN

Update, attendees and food

1- Paul in OKC_--------------------------------Drinks
3-Tim Self-------------------------------------Dessert and surprise sounds yummy

5- Old Wrangler and significant other our guest from Texas:)

OKLAHOMAN

plus excuse to bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5- Old Wrangler and significant other our guests from Texas:)
6- Don Ho--------------------------------------Drinks also
7-Oklahoman------------------------------------Hamburgers,hot dogs,buns & chips

OKLAHOMAN

plus excuse to bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8-JDenny , Cheryl & Little Sammie----------------Salsa and guacamole

OKLAHOMAN

One more update, I've talked Paul into giving a talk on the basic concept of making treads, should be very interesting. I'll also have the pen Wizard set up for all to play with. Any thing else would you Guys and gals want, CA finish, casting, drilling using PH/Designs vise, end milling using a disk sander, etc? Let me know so I can set things up, and lets not forget great eats!!!!!!!!!!!

OKLAHOMAN

plus one more excuse to bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9- Seawolf and Mrs.----------------------------Mt. Dew,Pepsi and chips

I'll be contacting Ken @ Kallenshaan Woods for the laser cut kits he has so generously donated on the 10th. of April so if you are coming and want one of these fabulous blanks you'll have to let me know by the 9th,

OKLAHOMAN

I've been asked about the blanks that Ken is donating, Here is the post that DCbluesman (Lou)posted about Ken's donation:

Here We Go!

As members of the new Local Chapters, you are probably wondering "What's the big deal?"

As if by magic, we now have the first BIG DEAL for local chapters.

Ken Nelsen of Kallenshaan Woods has come up with a wonderful offer to encourage participation in local events. At your next local chapter meeting, Ken will donate one of his 12 new kits per member who is attending, up to a maximum of 12 kits per chapter! Not only that, but Ken will do this once per chapter every six months!

So not only do you get to meet with fellow pen turners, but you are also almost assured (unless more than 12 members attend) of taking home a free kit from Kallenshaan Woods (www.kallenshaanwoods.com).

To take advantage of this offer, simply email Ken with the expected attendance. He will send the kits out to the organizer for distribution at the meeting.

Thanks, Ken, for getting us off to a great start!

OKLAHOMAN

One more update and remember if you can bring some blanks to trade and pens to show off;

10-Oidar ANA Gene -----------------------------Snacks

BTW Paul remember when it was just you,me and Les?

OKLAHOMAN

One more update and remember if you can bring some blanks to trade and pens to show off;

11-Muddywater and Mrs. Muddy-----------------?
12-RAdams---------------------------baked beans and tater salad or.shish ka bobs... (Beef or Venison, and bell peppers, taters, and mushrooms... Damn this is sounding good.:tongue::biggrin::wink:

BTW Paul remember when it was just you,me and Les?

The next person to sign up will get the last Lazer cut Blank from Ken

Last edited:

RAdams

Banned
how does a guy join up and attend this shin dig??? I would love to me the new number 12 guy!

I can bring whatever food needed..

baked beans and tater salad...

shish ka bobs... (Beef or Venison, and bell peppers, taters, and mushrooms...

doesn't much matter to me, whatever sounds best.

I am really interested in learning as much as possible.. I have only been turning for a few years now, and only got heavily involved with pens this last year or so.

Am i understanding correctly.. you guys (and gals) cast your own blanks?? and you are willing to teach a young Okie how to do it? i would just about be willing to pay for a lesson in casting.

RAdams

Banned
PS. I have a jet mini VS, with all needed accessories, even a table top drill press. I could bring this gear gladly if needed!

OKLAHOMAN

Ron glade to have you, last night at the motel I think I PM'ed you when I got in from the show. No dues, just the want to share what you know and gain from the others. Bring what you really want to both sound better than my burgers. I will be e-mailing directions out in the next few days. No need for the lathe or drill press I have 2 lathes and a drill press and we couldn't jam another tool into it with a shoe horn.

how does a guy join up and attend this shin dig??? I would love to me the new number 12 guy!

I can bring whatever food needed..

baked beans and tater salad...

shish ka bobs... (Beef or Venison, and bell peppers, taters, and mushrooms...

doesn't much matter to me, whatever sounds best.

I am really interested in learning as much as possible.. I have only been turning for a few years now, and only got heavily involved with pens this last year or so.

Am i understanding correctly.. you guys (and gals) cast your own blanks?? and you are willing to teach a young Okie how to do it? i would just about be willing to pay for a lesson in casting.

PS. I have a jet mini VS, with all needed accessories, even a table top drill press. I could bring this gear gladly if needed!

Last edited:

OKLAHOMAN

All Kens Blanks are spoken for

11-Muddywater and Mrs. Muddy-----------------?
12-RAdams---------------------------baked beans and tater salad or.shish ka bobs... (Beef or Venison, and bell peppers, taters, and mushrooms... Damn this is sounding good.:tongue::biggrin::wink:
13-Daveteff----------------------??? Dave you and Ron PM'ed me within a few minuets so I will Get you a Ken Blank

RAdams

Banned
FYI, I would like to learn about using CA glue as a finish. I have tried it once and didn't have very good results. It looked fine off the lathe, but just a few short weeks into it's life, it became very dingy and dull and ugly...

In fact, that seems to be my biggest problem. I have used the HUT PPP sticks, I have used the beall buffing system, i have used the sticks from the beall directly on the blanks spinning on the lathe, and nothing seems to work. It all looks GREAT when it is fresh off the lathe, but within just a couple of weeks, they all get dull and ugly.

I recently bought the cellulose sealer from Myland's, and the 100% pure tung oil in hopes to get better results.

Any info on the subject if finishing would be absorbed like a sponge!!

OKLAHOMAN

WILL ALL WHO ARE ATTENDING AND NEED DIRECTIONS PLEASE E-MAIL ME!
Do not PM me but e-mail me and I will e-mail you back directions, let me know if your coming from the E,W,S,or N.

OKLAHOMAN

Don, you are always welcome at my hacienda. We enjoyed you the last time and I look forward to seeing you again, please make the time.

RAdams

Banned
email sent Roy. I sent it from here though, so i don't know if it worked or not. if i dont get a reply in the next day or two, i will try it straight from my email addy.

Oh yeah... I also wanted to mention that i like your signature. I have direct connections with all three of those states. My sister and neices live in Elmira (NY), and my little brother and soon to be nephew lives in Ft. Myers (FL).

And hey Paul.. may i ask what that is in your avatar pic??

RAdams

Banned
i figured it out.. it is a drilling vice. (i looked at your photos... lol) did you make it? i noticed you are a machinist..

RAdams

Banned
in that case, i have a couple of questions..

could you make another one?

would you be interested in making one for a fellow turner? (for a profit of course)

could you modify it to fit a mini drill press?

if so, how much you trhink it would cost?

OKLAHOMAN

Ron, Paul makes the PHDesign pen vise and has a waiting list, you might want to PM him and get on the list if he;s taking anymore orders.:frown:

would you be interested in making one for a fellow turner? (for a profit of course)

Paul in OKC

How mini is mini? The vise only stands 3" tall, so......

RAdams

Banned
it is just a little table top press i got from HF. i just need something that will hold the blanks and bolt to the bed of the press. of course ease of use is important too, especially considering the travel of my little press is only an inch and a half or so.

anyway.. i just got excited when i saw it is all... could you bring it for show and tell to the meeting?

ps, i am going to attempt to post a picture of my latest pen.

Top Bottom