Oiled Ivory / Antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Anyone treated their ivory or antler with mineral oil before turning or finishing?

I read that soaking them in mineral oil for days or boiling (in a double boiler) helps prevent cracking due to humidity changes but the ivory/antler will have an aged look (opaque like and not white).

I guess depending on what you want, it could be a good or bad thing.

Input anyone?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodlvr

Ken,
Is that before or after turning? Do you soak it in the tea or boil? Sorry Dario, not trying to hijack your thread just trying to learn from you guys. :)

Dario

Mike, No problem...I am learning too!

Ken, Great tip! How long do you do this? My problem with tea/coffee is the re-introduction of water to the dry antler/ivory.

bitshird

Before the ban on Ivory, much of the antique Ivory that was brought in to this country had the aged patina done with tea or coffee, I used to do a lot of hair pipe bone chokers, necklaces, and breast plates, I just soaked the bone, and deer antler in a pan with hot coffee, after it dried just a wipe down with a paper towel, it really doesn't or didn't affect the polish , but then again these were meant to have an aged look to them. I would turn the pieces first get close to my finish dimension then do the coloring, let it dry a day or so and then finish the piece,

Top Bottom