November GTG?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

The last time we got together was in August, does anyone want to have another get together in November?

If so, what are some ideas of things we can do or demonstrations we can do? Anyone feel like volunteering to demo something?

I deleted a post below and will use this first post to show current updated information.

:biggrin: ***** Official Notice ***** :biggrin:

The Northern Texas IAP and friends penturning get together (GTG) will be November 14 at my shop in Azle. Everyone who reads this is welcome.

No demos are currently planned but we'll think of something interesting. We have a lot of talent so if you are new and want to learn something speak up now and we'll see if someone wants to do a demo. If not, we'll just sit around and shoot the breeze OR we can rake leaves while talking about pen turning!

I will roll the grill around by the shop so we can grill burgers, dogs, brats... whatever you like. We'll kick things off at 10AM (or whenever you get here, I'll be up and have coffee going at 8:30) and finish when everyone decided to leave, 2, 3, 0r 4 or whenever I turn the lights off!

I'll have some fixings for some killer Armenian style spicy burgers but if you want anything else, bring it and we'll need some to bring some condements; chips, drinks, hot dogs, buns, and of course donuts!

Please post below if you will attend, what you'de like to see and what you're bringing. I'll add to this post

Name.................................. What to see ...........Bringing

1. George (texatdurango)....... Anything ............ Burgers, buns
2. Rudy (rlofton)....................Anything............. Donuts
3. Dan (youthministerdan)........Anything............ Chips, dessert
4. Don (Great Googly Moogly)...skew useage....... soft drinks
5. Charles (clraney74).............Anything............. Mini meatballs
6. Gary (papa bear).................casting and CA.... Brats
7. Don (its_virgil)....................anything............. dessert
8. Lyle (lwalden)....................anything............... plates/utensils
9. Sherry
10. James (phunky)... possible

When you sign up and don't know how to get to my shop, PM me and include an EMAIL address and I will send you a map.

Last edited:

TomW

I'm here, and I'm in.

Um...George, you could demo making the cap!

Tom

Last edited:

Texatdurango

Think maybe I could come?:redface:

NO!

In our last meeting we decided we didn't want anyone from outside a 75 mile radius coming to our meetings and Athens is 76 miles! So sorry, you have to create your own chapter! Besides ya'll talk funny with that semi, almost cajun east Texas accent :biggrin:

Texatdurango

Geez George, thanks for the warm reception!! Friends like you is why I hang around this place!!:tongue:

Oops, I forgot to mention that we also voted that IF anyone came from outside the "sacred circle" they would have to come bearing gifts (donuts) :biggrin:

I think that rule was tabled by Bob from Sachse but am not for sure!

rlofton

Looks like I can make it, too.

George, I'll be happy to vouch for RollerBob. I met a young man who was taught by Bob's wife in Jr. High. He said she is a very nice lady. So if a nice lady can be married to him, he must be a good guy. Besides, almost everywhere is over 75 miles to your place. He can stop at my house on the way then it's only 15 miles.

Besides, coming to the meeting will give him a chance to fulfill an offer that he made to me. Bob, does "crappie" ring a bell.

Rollerbob

Looks like I can make it, too.

George, I'll be happy to vouch for RollerBob. I met a young man who was taught by Bob's wife in Jr. High. He said she is a very nice lady. So if a nice lady can be married to him, he must be a good guy. Besides, almost everywhere is over 75 miles to your place. He can stop at my house on the way then it's only 15 miles.

Besides, coming to the meeting will give him a chance to fulfill an offer that he made to me. Bob, does "crappie" ring a bell.

LOL!! At this point George is going to first have to beg me, make a public appology and send me that new pen he just made, then just maybe............I'll not come!! BTW, who did you meet?

traderdon55

I have not been able to make the last couple of meetings and it looks like I will have to miss this one too as I have commitments every weekend between now and thanksgiving. Hopefully I can make the next one.

byounghusband

Yup George has it right...... But as long as you bring something to the table as well and Rudy vouches for ya, we can make an exception.... :tongue:

Now RB, your name is alright with me and we could even be friends, but ya gotta control that wetting problem. :eek:

And Depends are not a substitute for doughnuts or other good things to eat!!!

Oops, I forgot to mention that we also voted that IF anyone came from outside the "sacred circle" they would have to come bearing gifts (donuts) :biggrin:

I think that rule was tabled by Bob from Sachse but am not for sure!

Texatdurango

Rollerbob...it was me that Rudy met...I picked up some pen kits from him the other day. Maybe I'll follow you to the great western woodturning resort in Azle.

Forney... Good grief! Whatever happened to the good ole "metroplex" turners? Next thing ya know we'll be having folks coming up from Austin... oh wait, we already did :eek:

Since I am from Azle and have never heard of the "western woodturning resort" am I to assume we are thinking my little shop is the target for this meeting?

If so, we need to start talking dates. Since most of us are retired, any day is fine but we must think of the worker bees and make it a saturday so let's hear some dates AND what we want to do! Anyone have any unique talents they want to share?

Rollerbob

Forney... Good grief! Whatever happened to the good ole "metroplex" turners? Next thing ya know we'll be having folks coming up from Austin... oh wait, we already did :eek:

Since I am from Azle and have never heard of the "western woodturning resort" am I to assume we are thinking my little shop is the target for this meeting?

If so, we need to start talking dates. Since most of us are retired, any day is fine but we must think of the worker bees and make it a saturday so let's hear some dates AND what we want to do! Anyone have any unique talents they want to share?
I can cross one eye at a time!!

Papa Bear

Depending on the day, I will be there(going to arizona the week of thanksgiving,mama's cookin'!)If nothing else comedic minds!

I'm in for the meeting too. George I think Forney is practically Mesquite, so we are just as much a part of the metroplex as Azle. Look forward to seeing you and the gang.

Texatdurango

I'm in for the meeting too. George I think Forney is practically Mesquite, so we are just as much a part of the metroplex as Azle. Look forward to seeing you and the gang.

Never a doubt in my mind... you're one of US!:biggrin:

I just thought of something........ Most of the "regulars" know me and how I like to kid around but some of the newer folks probably don't and I certainly hope no one took me seriously the way I was messing with Rollerbob being too far away to be welcomed.

Just to set the record straight...... Anyone and everyone is welcome, heck, we would even welcome some of our Oklahoman northern neighbors should they decide on the drive down! I mean afterall we've allowed Arkansas folks to visit, even had one from Missouri pop in this spring so we're used to having yankees around!

I haven't seen much activity here though, perhaps if I started a post with the names and what they were bringing for snacks.

rlofton

14th will work best for me too, George. I'll bring fresh donuts from Keller, Texas, if that's okay. Anyone have special requests?

Haven't heard anything from Lyle or Sherry or Mike or Terrie or . . . . . where is everybody?

Texatdurango

I'm in...I need help sharpening my tool and learning the proper way to use a skew...

I can bring 2 liter bottles of soda...any requests...

Don, I like Dr Pepper and Mt. Dew is always popular. Several of us are fairly handy with a skew and I have my grinder ready to go so bring your favorite skew(s).

I also do a mean "skew finished CA finish", I could take a few minutes to show you how to use a skew on a ca finish to get really nice smooth finishes.

Rollerbob

I just thought of something........ Most of the "regulars" know me and how I like to kid around but some of the newer folks probably don't and I certainly hope no one took me seriously the way I was messing with Rollerbob being too far away to be welcomed.

Whew, I don't know about others, but I was quite hurt by the abuse that I received!! There were several nights that it was almost 10:00 before I could drop off to sleep. So, thanks for the clarification. I should be there around 6:00 pm on the 13th for dinner and a stay over!!:tongue:

rlofton

Whew, I don't know about others, but I was quite hurt by the abuse that I received!! There were several nights that it was almost 10:00 before I could drop off to sleep. So, thanks for the clarification. I should be there around 6:00 pm on the 13th for dinner and a stay over!!:tongue:

If you stay the night of the 13th at George's place, be sure to take your dog training outfit. Herbie is his ferocious watchdog and probably won't let you get away without a full body attack. At the very least wear protective gear over "sensitive" areas.

Your second choice could be staying at my place. We have two cuddly little long haired dachshunds that love guests. We would be happy to treat you to dinner at world famous Babe's in Roanoke, TX. But Babe's is out if you're on a health food kick. So are the donuts I'll be taking to the meeting. I always like to meet wealthy entrepreneurs anyway.

Texatdurango

If you stay the night of the 13th at George's place, be sure to take your dog training outfit. Herbie is his ferocious watchdog and probably won't let you get away without a full body attack. At the very least wear protective gear over "sensitive" areas.....

Oh Come on.....give Herbie a break! Does this harmless looking, teenie tiny little guy seem like the type to take an arm and a leg to you? Just look at that innocent face!

Attachments

• herbie.jpg
    herbie.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 188

Rollerbob

George, got one just like him, only female. My wife's guard dog and I mean that literally. Get bit every morning when I kiss my wife good by. I hate that dog!!<gerrrr>

Papa Bear

Count me in,I'll bring some brats!I wouldn't mind seeing anything but would like some casting info and maybe CA finishing.
Gary

Last edited:

Texatdurango

Count me in,I'll bring some brats!I wouldn't mind seeing anything but would like some casting info and maybe CA finishing.
Gary
Terry (TD) is a casting guru but I haven't heard from her yet. She catches on fire easily at these gatherings so may be scared to come! If she shows, you'll learn all you need to about casting. I've been doing some simple alumilite blanks myself lately so might help a little.

You'll go home capable of doing a snazzy CA finish... 5 different ways.....gauranteed! :biggrin:

lwalden

I hope to be there, need to get some decent progress made on the kid's bathroom redo this weekend so SWMBO doesn't give me "The Look" when I bring up the topic of time away for good behaviour........... George, assuming I get an 8 hour pass, I can bring pretty much anything you still need. I'll have paperplates (Texas Style), napkins, and plastic cutlery, let me know what else to bring.

Top Bottom