Nov 22 meeting - general discussion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

I thought it would be a good idea to start a new thread just for our first meeting.

First, I do not want to give the impression that I am ram rodding this, I am just keeping the ball rolling.

I realize not everyone checks the forum 278 times a day like I do :biggrin: but please check in at least every few days and read through the thread, not just the top message. That way everyone will be well informed, and a well informed group is a smooth operating group. Subscribing to this thread saves you from hunting for it when you log on.

The Nov 22 meeting will be hosted by John Driscoll who has a nice shop in Arlington which is centrally located to most members.

If everyone would please email me with your email address I will reply with a map to John's house. It has to be an email not a PM so I can add the map attachment.

As everyone is probably aware, Ken Kallenshan made a generous offer to provide one of his new laser engraved kits to everyone attending the local chapter meetings (up to 12 people). Since we already have more than 12 attendees, I think drawing numbers at the meeting and drawing from a hat would be appropriate and of course, we can always find some other "prizes". I will go ahead and email Ken letting him know we will have at least 12 attending. I also cannot answer which kits we will get until I see them in hand, that will be Kens choice.

Of course, anyone can sign up afterwards, just don't count on a Kallensahn blank.

As of Monday, Nov 17, 7PM here are the attendees (if I missed you, let me know):

Texatdurango – George Butcher in Azle
Pentex – Harold in Granbury
Byounghusband - Bob in Sachse
1JaredSchmidt – Jared Schmidt in Granbury
MarkHix – Mark Hix in Carrollton
td- Terry Hefner Dallas
rlofton – Rudy in Keller
its_virgil – Don Ward in Wichita Falls
gwd - Gary in cedar hill
ranchonodinero - Marty in Aledo
jdwhip96 – John Driscoll in Arlington
kevin_f – Kevin in Flower Mound
brez – Mike Breslin in Pilot Point
Frankk - Frank Kupec in Hurst
Lee Patz - Lee Patz in Corinth
txbatons - Brian in Carrolton
abearpens - in Hurst
lwalden - Lyle had to cancel

A few suggested ideas along with any demonstrations we will have………

• A "Show and tell" table where you bring whatever pens you choose for all to admire. This usually leads to interesting discussions and a lot of "how- to's" being shared.
  • Blank swap - Bring two NICE blanks to swap with others, details will be provided at the meeting, it's fun!
  • Bring anything you make that others might want to buy at a "group discounted" rate of course!
Looking forward to meeting everyone, Let's hear some other thoughts……:)

Last edited:

Texatdurango

Yes, we could have a demo on doing a CA finish. Don Ward does a nice finish, I have a different technique, I just returned from watching Curtis Seebeck (Mesquite man) do a totally different finish which I am going to try. It is something that a lot seem to have trouble with so the more ways to try, the better and we might just get around to seeing a few ideas.

SherryD

Looks like a good first meeting turn out is ahead of us. I am looking forward to meeting everyone and seeing what we can get started as far as meeting on a regular basis. I had a great time in San Marcos this weekend meeting some Central Texas chapter members and came away with lot of new information that I can't wait to try. It was a fun time to say the least. I believe another new IAP member who was at my shop Sunday afternoon is going to also be attending, his name is Joe Chapman. What time are we going to meet. I do not have a preference on time but know it may be an issue for some who are going to be driving some distance to get here. I will make sure we have doughnuts and weather permitting have the grill available for hamburgers or hotdogs.

Last edited:

Texatdurango

..... What time are we going to meet. I do not have a preference on time but know it may be an issue for some who are going to be driving some distance to get here. I will make sure we have doughnuts and weather permitting have the grill available for hamburgers or hotdogs.
John, I would favor 10 AM since I think it would allow everyone to get there without leaving home in the dark!

That would give us ample time to get together, meet each other, do a few demos, swap a few blanks then as you said, fire up the grill. I'll bring enough buns and brauts for everyone, perhaps someone might chime in with some soft drinks or chips or whatever.

What says the group.........any preferences?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
John, I would favor 10 AM since I think it would allow everyone to get there without leaving home in the dark!

That would give us ample time to get together, meet each other, do a few demos, swap a few blanks then as you said, fire up the grill. I'll bring enough buns and brauts for everyone, perhaps someone might chime in with some soft drinks or chips or whatever.

What says the group.........any preferences?

Ya may wanna make Texas bar-b-que, iffn ya can't even SPELL BRATS!!!!!

(The Wisconsin contingent!)

SherryD

thanks for the food offer, let me know a day or two in advance what we need to finish off as far as necessities...food , sodas, etc. I already have plenty of briquets

Texatdurango

Jared, I will send out an email with a map how to get to John's shop. I feel these things are best left in private, not on a web page for the world to see.

By all means, bring some of your work and show it off as well as a few nice blanks to swap with others.

Since you probably haven't done this before be forewarned though, the other guys are looking for cool blanks to trade not culls so the rule I always use is that if I wouldn't personally use a blank on a nice pen, I wouldn't bring it to swap.

byounghusband

George,
I just sent you an email with my home email address of ***** in case it doesn't make ti through properly. I am in for the meeting as long as I bust a$$ later in the day with family coming out.....:bulgy-eyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Texatdurango

George,
I just sent you an email with my home email address of ***** in case it doesn't make ti through properly. I am in for the meeting as long as I bust a$$ later in the day with family coming out.....:bulgy-eyes:
Busting your butt is good for you and will be worth it as I have never attended one of these gatherings where someone said they regretted coming! I got your email and will send out the maps all at once when I hear from everyone IF I hear from everyone! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

Texatdurango

So I should bring some curly birds-eye white oak burl instead of just oak blanks. I catch on. I got some awesome blanks that I might never use. I'll bring them.
Now you're getting the idea. Just put yourself in the other persons shoes... would you swap for what you brought... another way of looking at it. I've seen people bring junk blanks to these swaps before and when they toss them out on the table it's obvious and their blanks are the last to be picked, it's a little embarrassing.

Looking forward to meeting you.

1JaredSchmidt

Do you think that someone could give us a demo on how to turn a closed end pen? That is another thing I would like to see in person. I don't know how to do a CA finish,kitless pen,or make a closed end pen. Those are 3 things I would love to see.

Texatdurango

Jared, actually you got me to thinking, I know a few of the local members personally and know their capabilities but not everyones. Why do a certain demo if most members already have that capability?

We have members who are pretty good with CA finishing, doing closed end pens and we will have the Beall pen wizard available although no one is really proficient with it yet, it will be shown.

It would be nice if everyone would post, saying what they would like to see in the way of a demo or demos if time permits?

Texatdurango

There are still four people I still do not have an email address for, I hope you can find your way over to Johns shop because I can't send you a map without an email address.

brez

George,

I have found that I learn something new even when the demo is something I thought I already knew, so any demo is great. Having said that I would particularly like to see the new Beal machine and closed end turning.

Thanks
Mike Breslin

its_virgil

Read my articles on closed end pens and CA finish at http://www.RedRiverPens.com/articles I'll answer your questions and show you how both are done even if we have to stay after the meeting for our own session. I look forward the meeting and to getting to know those of you that I don't.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Do you think that someone could give us a demo on how to turn a closed end pen? That is another thing I would like to see in person. I don't know how to do a CA finish,kitless pen,or make a closed end pen. Those are 3 things I would love to see.

td

Banned
I sent an e-mail with my e-address.

I'll bring anything else we need food-wise.

I'm SO looking forward to this meeting!!

Lee Patz

New IAP Member

Hi,
I'm new here and to wood turning but I would like to attend your meeting on the 22nd. Just so you have a little information about me, I live in Corinth (just north of Lewisville). I am 61 years old and have been turning for about 2 years, but I have only turned a couple pens. What I have seen on this site has really got me inspired to learn more about pens and especially casting.
George I will send you an Email with my contact information and please let me know if there is anything I can bring or anything I need to do before the meeting.
I look forward to meeting you all.
Lee

td

Banned
Welcome Lee - just a word of warning about casting...... there isn't enough time to cast all the possibilities!!!:biggrin::biggrin::rolleyes:

Texatdurango

Well, if my ciphering is correct, we have around 16 coming now although I'm still short a few sending me their email accounts. Perhaps they just log on once a week, in which case they should read this thread before the meeting! :wink:

1JaredSchmidt

Or you could have someone bring their casting stuff and show some of us how to do it. I would be glad to buy some if someone would bring some.(if they want to sell it)

SherryD

George, don't know if we have a tally on the total, but there are two more coming that are not listed in earlier message. For reasons unknow, they are registered with IAP but have not emailed a confrimation, they have stated they are attending when they have come over for laser work and I mentioned the IAP first meeting. Definitely excited about getting some regular meetings going but they apparently have not logged on for quite some time. The more the merrier...I am guessing there are around 20 at this time????

kevin_f

Groege, I guess I'm one of the one that only logs in every week or two. I still plan on comin g to the first meeting. It sounds like it's going to be quite a gathering.

Kevin

Texatdurango

Just an update....

It looks like I have everyone's email addresses and will be sending out an email with the meeting agenda and a map showing how to get to John's shop.

Looks like around 20+ folks will be attending so we ought to have a good time.

txbatons

George,
Count me in! I've been swamped with school since August, but the local gathering sounds like a great time and I don't think there's anything on the calendar that day.

Email to be sent shortly.

Thanks for organizing this. Looking forward to putting faces with names...and pens!

Texatdurango

OK, time for an update.....

I just emailed the "official" :) meeting notice which included a .jpg image of a map to John's shop. PLEASE... if you can't open the image, contact me and I'll send it in another format, we DO NOT want folks posting the image here or elsewhere online.

If you didn't get an email, post here and we'll find out what went wrong.

So now we wait, and chat about anything we feel like... like the weather! What the heck is up with that? yesterday, nice and sunny, today cold and windy, tonight we're expecting close to if not actually freezing temperatures!

Let's hope next saturday is nicer, else we'll have to just bundle up for warmth... fat guys on the outside!:biggrin:

Last edited:

td

Banned
George,

Do you want me to make name tags with screen names and avatars (for those who have them)? Also, should we start a list here of who's going to bring buns, chips, drinks, etc. so things aren't duplicated?

Just a couple of thoughts....

Top Bottom